Power divider locked-rear drive shaft off

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blessedman, May 25, 2015.

1. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    Will it damage the power divider or front axle to run with the drive shaft between the axles removed and the power divider locked?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    How far do you have to go, there was someone that asked that no real long ago and drove 1000 miles or so like that to get it fixed at home.

4. blessedman

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    My rear u-joint went out. I found it before it came apart but it damaged the yoke. I'm looking at a few days wait for a part. To get me back home will be about 1600 miles.

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I personally wouldn't want to run with the power divider on that far, I would have the parts next day aired and get it back together, would be cheaper than bouncing 1600 miles too.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I disagree, take both joints out with the shaft and go home. The exception is if a lot of weight is missing from the yoke, you could have a balance problem.

Final Drive Thanks this.
  7. blessedman

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    I've got a load on that was supposed to deliver tomorrow 600 miles away and a light load to return on which I may lose due to the wait.
    I know running the power divider locked in can heat the oil in the front differential under normal circumstances. I found that out running with it locked in on icy roads.
    Just wondered if having the back axle unhooked would make a difference.
    Also know that I would have to take it easy with only one axle pulling instead of two.

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Heat is not going to be a problem. Just try to stay out anywhere that you way possibly require your power divider normally. Avoid dead stops up hill loaded heavy. Probably the only way you would hurt it is shock loads (wheel spins that catch hard clutch use etc.)

9. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    Lock it in and go. There will be no damage. The reason it heated up was most likely due to a difference in tire circumference.
    It will be just like a single axle. I have had several run over 1500 miles before getting home to be repaired.

10. blessedman

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    Made it to my drop ok. Over 600 miles. Going home empty. Over 800 miles. Got the repair parts ordered. Going to replace all the u-joints and the carrier bearing as well. I'd rather spend some now as more later.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The only reason the power divider gets damaged running with it locked in is because it can get bound up when traction is good. With the short shaft removed, there is nothing to bind up. In other words, lock'er in and roll...ain't gonna hurt a thing, other than your ears if your truck has an annoying buzzer like mine does when it is locked. That gets old REAL quick...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.