Power inverter

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Cw5110, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Cw5110

Cw5110 Heavy Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Georgia
    Anyone know what better brand to buy im looking at a cobra 2500 for 300 bucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    If you can afford it get a PURE SINE WAVE unit.Most of the cheaper ones like the Cobra are MODIFIED SINE WAVE units and will play havoc with some electronics and shorten the life of other electronic equipment.You will have to do some googling to see who has the best deals on the better quality units but if your not fussy then the Cobra units will do.

4. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    What he said. I run a 2000 watt unit I picked up at a Harbor Freight for like 190$. It's a modified sine model. I wouldn't recommend you go that cheaply as I am now looking to replace after 6 months due to very loud, (annoying), fan motor. It runs a small dorm room type fridge and 1100 watt microwave just fine. I also have a ceramic top portable cook top that it will not power. Have to turn on apu with 110 outlet to power that thing. A true sine wave would do that just fine as it is comparable to household power. The wife and I cook a lot on this truck so new unit will be coming sooner than later. Only drawback to pure sine wave is cost, 2-3 times that of modified, and like anything else, the better brands are pricier.

IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  5. arrogant steve

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    2-3 times cost that is.

IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  6. arrogant steve

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Will be looking at R/V store for new unit.

IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    I have purchased a few inverters from this company.
    all have been working perfect and still going strong over a year later. have recomended them to others, all reporting good product and no problems.

theinverterstore

IndianaF150 and Cw5110 Thank this.
  8. 86mechanic

86mechanic Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Northridge, CA
    Check out Magnum Inverters. They are expensive but worth it. Plus they have like a 3 Year warranty!

IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  9. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I've only used small cig plug inverters for puter.

Is it safe and reliable using a bigger one for a small fridge, leaving it on all the time? What's it do to the batteries?

How long can they run with truck motor turned off? Any info helpful. I want a slightly larger mini fridge than the ones designed for trucks. Maybe 3 ft fridge

10. Loose Leaf

Loose Leaf Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
  11. Carolie

Carolie Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Yes, you can find many power inverter brands when googling. But don't just look for something that is cheap. Cheap ivnerters can't guarantee high quality and high safety. Damages are easy to occur when using a power inverter without full protections. I always use Bestek power inverter which is also the top googling inverter brand. I'm now using Bestek 300w power inverter, but you can find many other models from Bestek. But you need also to use inverters in a right way. Don't make your device overloaded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.