Power-Only Loads

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by truckingbizness, May 25, 2013.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

See above in red.

We can all paint a rosy picture. But without ALL the details, it's meaningless.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You seem to think a $2.47 all miles in average on 31,000 miles in 6 months is no good... that is an awesome average with a fat profit on 60k miles annual.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

4. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I did $2.19 a mile to the truck, on every mile I turned including deadhead, 76k total miles last year. My loaded miles only rate was well over $3 a mile, after the percentage off the top. 23 percent of those 76k miles were deadhead. This year trending same overall miles and deadhead doing $2.34 to the truck. Does that make it clear?

5. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    no, I don't think it's good.

How much net profit is really left after your annual expenses are finally paid. You know. All those pesky FIXED overhead costs. Insurance, Truck payment, Personal draw (salary) base plate, etc.

And then you have to take all those variable costs out of that as well. You know the ones. Fuel and maintenance. (Albeit that will be a lot lower on 60,000 miles than on 120,000 miles.)

rollin coal Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's an easy $25,000 profit.... not make believe " after the fuel is covered profit"... ..real profit after expenses, that is an awesome profit for working about 7 or 8 months a year.

7. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    and how much was your personal draw?

$30,000? 35?

Means you earned a total of $55-60,000 gross to yourself. And you still have to pay income taxes all out of that. Albeit, per diems would help. But I don't think you really had that many days away from the house either.

Because I don't think you really lived off of that $25,000 profit.

Call me cynical if you want.

But realizing what that final number and having it figure all the way through, it means more to me than I really think most plan all the way through.

Final number at the end....

What do YOU get to claim.

I was looking at $50,000 as a company driver last year. I better be 60-70% above that as an O/O. That's well above $80,000 that I get to have.

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    On paper logs you spend more nights in the truck than reality although this year there were more nights in the truck than I really cared for. But you gotta go with the freight it always changes. Last year with an engine overhaul I barely broke even.

9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You work too hard trying to put up big numbers ASAP. It takes years to build a business. Small, slow and steady. Always charge a premium. Business will grow. Getting three times the calls this year compared to last. Rates up, miles the same.... I'm confident in another year or so if I choose to roll up 100,000+ plus miles at $2.40-$2.50 to the truck, that the business will be there... I'm not forcing the issue though... it will come. In the meantime there is no need to run a lot of cheaper miles .

10. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    there is a reason I went to a reefer.......

11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Cause dry van sucks apparently... Every type of freight has ups and downs, even reefer freight in a frozen tundra.. You're not going to turn 100k+ miles your first year at a premium rate.. you're pissing your time and equipment away pulling any long miles 500-1,000+ at less than $2.50 a mile flat, reefer, or van.... ...that's just how I see it from my own experience and I will take $2.50 a mile on 65k miles, to the truck, over $1.90 on 110k miles any time... ...work less and smart.. don't give your costly services away for nothing... OP should be ashamed of the rates he got on power only... I have seen several power only loads in the past year or so with $4-$5 per mile on 500 miles... and he laughs at guys who stand firm on $3 a mile regular freight????

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.