Power Steering Fluid.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by TruckerPete1990, Oct 5, 2016.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    I have a 07 international with a cm870.. Lately i noticed there is power steering fluid outside the tank it gets covered in it(From what i heard this is kinda normal). But the pump itself has fluid on the outside of it. I think the hose is probably leaking going down to it? So im replace it when i get home Questions are Should i fill it with ATF? And will i have to find away to prime that system back up or anything?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    No but you may want to replace the filter inside. Usually change them every 60,000 miles. ATF should be good. But check owners manual. Or call a dealer to be sure. Most take dextron 3. Also clean the vent in the lid or cap.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Depends what you have in the system right now. Some manufacturers will use Dex 3 and some just regular engine oil. I would use whatever is in there right now.

5. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Looks redish so I'm gusing atf

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    When you change out that hose, you'll probably get a bunch of air in the system. Which will turn power steering into Armstrong steering until you work it out. I just raised the front end, fired up the motor and worked the steering wheel side to side until it got burped out. I'm sure someone probably has a better way. But it worked for me.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    ATF is excellent. P/S is pretty forgivable for what you use. Any decent oil will do. Priming is like this, once all back together, fill reservoir to full. Start engine and immediately shut down. Don't let it run for longer a second. Recheck your fluid level and top up as needed, repeat this until the level doesn't drop dramatically, should only take a couple or few times. Then fire up the engine and let it run for about 10 seconds, shut down and check level. Repeat until level stabilizes. Then run engine for a couple of minutes, shut down and check level. Then run engine and steer full left, the full right, shut down and recheck level. Then repeat this until the level is stabilized. All good!

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Look at the name on the sector-box. I thank Ross & TRW recommend ATF while Sheppard uses 15W 40 engine oil. I have seen all three used with both fluids without problems. If you came across a Saginaw maybe a New Process or something that says power steering fluid never use anything else. If there is a spec number look it up. Sometimes the cap will say power steering fluid only and the spec number is for that vehicle manufactures brand of of ATF. Nothing to be confused about here, right.

9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Just clean it off and find your leak before it gets so bad that you must buy more than a hose to fix the leak?

10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    The tanks get rust pin holes in them. I know from experiance. T changed my hoses. Still leaked. Replaced tank. No more leaks.

11. siphertank

siphertank Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2017
    hello everyone I'm mechanic that specializes in power. ask away!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.