Pre-DEF regen scare.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GiantBeard, Feb 12, 2016.

1. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    Whoo!
    I was having this beautiful string of weeks with nothing going wrong until BAM! I'm sitting with a malfunctioning regen system.

Has anyone ever had the regen level get worse, while doing a parked regen?

During my passive regen, the level increased to flashing yellow hates you. No worries, I park the truck and do a manual regen.

Well, then the level reduced itself to solid yellow level one. I grab a snack, turn on some music, kick back, and I hear a little, "beep beep, beep beep," from the dash.

I poke my head out of the curtains and the regen is back at level 2.

Am I due for some unwanted downtime again? Should I just do the dirty and talk to those Canadians about some Canuck magic?

Its back at level one, again, but this is really starting to concern me.

I can't be the only one who has been dealt a bad hand by this stupid device.

(Volvo 2010. Cummins ISX 450hp.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Need to burn the filter or get a new one.

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  4. GiantBeard

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    This filter has been burned twice in 4 months. Looks like a new one, if it isn't that bit that sprays the diesel, the doser(?).

:-(

I hate downtime. I hate it even more when I can't work it into my normal time off.

5. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    You have baked it twice in 4 months? Gee I only had to replace my filter once and bake it twice in 1.2 mil miles (6yrs)

6. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    You need a new doser injector about every 250k miles or so. It might last longer, but shold at least be cleaned. The catalyst before the dpf filter eventually fails and needs replacing, too. Honestly, there's a lot of things that can stop regens from running properly. Google "Cummins ISX EGR Tune Up" to find a lot of good information about your engine.

Coolbreeze and GiantBeard Thank this.
  7. truckbuddha

truckbuddha Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Ooooh,, you have my sympathies, if you have a regen issue. My trucks 09 Columbia Freightliner regen started acting up when it wouldn't do a parked regen. And I have even seen another do the same thing, no matter how long it runs, no luck, no regen. Well anyway, on mine, with the Yellow Ck engine light on and the Red shut down engine light on, I managed to get it to a shop. About 10 miles was the limit I could drive it at that point before it wanted to shut down.

I actually feel I got screwed with the almost $4000 repair bill, but still luckier than some that it was almost twice that much.

The real problem was a Dozer Block and Dozer injecter, not putting a high enough pressurized fuel into the chamber. Basically a $400 part to replace w/labor of about an hour. But the dimwits I went to ran up an almost $3000 repair bill replacing everything else, while each time claiming, "Oh this will get it fixed!" Until going down some check list, and checking the computer faults, decided this was the last thing they could try. But mind you, all the time, on the computer diagnostics, it was showing a low pressure, they just didn't see it as the issue.

If you having parked regen issues, it may just be a clogged injector at the chamber, a $100 easy thing to fix. Or maybe more. But I would warn you, that the writing may be on the wall for an even more major problem if things don't improve.

But make sure they go over every piece of info on the computer diagnostic first before trying anything to see what the issue really is. Other wise like my story, they made a killing off of me, when all I really needed was just a $400 part replaced.

I should add that they also changed out my fuel filters, because of gunk / excessive some kind of sludge was in my fuel system, and that I believe is what lead to the regen system getting all fouled up as well. Too much injector cleaner and fuel additives on my part, I have never used another drop of that crap since!!!

I don't think this will help or explain why your having a problem. But I hope if you do have more serious issues, something that I may have said my be useful to you.

don

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  8. proxystein

proxystein Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    When it was last at the shop , did they do a forced re-gen before giving the truck back to you ?

You'd be surprised how many incompetent truck technicians there are at the dealership level, especially Volvo's with Cummins engines

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  9. GiantBeard

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    I'm exactly 3k until my next service, at 15k intervals.

I trust my mechanics. We use a shop that's been in business a long time, and they already have all of our business from the farm in that area.

Anyways, they've warned me about this before. That, and my turbo. They always said, "just tell us when you start losing power up a hill and we'll take a closer look," and wouldnt you know it, that problem just started about a week ago.

555,550ish miles and likely these jobs will be the first major maintenance, unless Arrow decided to do what Swift didn't care to do, before selling us the truck.

10. proxystein

proxystein Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    I had a similar problem with a Cummins ISX , no codes either. Going up hills you could tell it was derated and boost gauge wouldn't go above 10 lbs..The company's shop ended up baking the dpf like you did plus a forced regen and about 1 month later the same thing happened again.

I ended up taking it into a cummins shop and it was some sensor. I forget which one, probably exhaust temp or something similar , it won't do a re-gen if the computer thinks the exhaust is not hot enough

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  11. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Our Volvo trucks with the ISX EPA 2007 engines all had regen issues. I think for some reason it doesn't like the Volvo design for the DPF system because our lone wolf Kenworth T660 hasn't been nearly as much trouble.

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.