Pre trip mistake

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chrism1367, Oct 9, 2015.

1. chrism1367

chrism1367 Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I made a mistake with my pre trip, added coolant and forgot to put back the rad cap. Feel like an idiot because another driver pointed it out as it was dripping a little when I got back. When I added coolant at pre trip I spilled some and thought that's why it was dripping. I went over and realized the cap was still sitting where I left it. Anyone forget to do something like this? I've been driving a little less than a year but I've never forgot something like that.luckily no harm was done, drove it about an hour and a half without the cap.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I almost pulled off without closing my trailer door. Good thing I actually use my mirrors

A_C_Cooper, QuietStorm and Dominick253 Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Once I checked the battery cables for corrosion before I checked the frame rail for hairline cracks, Glad it was dark and nobody saw me goof up...

DoubleO7, speedyk, KillingTime and 3 others Thank this.
  5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That's not a big deal... Pretty sure from now on you will be double checking that...

I've seen a guy driving down the interstate with fuel spilling out because he didn't put the cap back on...

tallmon and QuietStorm Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    It happens,ppl have other things on their mind while doing their pretrip.Last sidedump company I fueled up at night in their yard,forgot to put the fuel cap back on,I drove to SiouxFalls and back all day like that and crossed an open scale,surprised he didn't notice it.Anyway my last round while at the plant waiting to get loaded in Sioux Falls the bulldozer guy told me im missing my fuel cap.I get out and much to my surprise the fuel cap was still on the catwalk.

QuietStorm and Dominick253 Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    While storm chasing this past spring, I left my iPhone on the rear bumper of my Yukon (long story). Drove from Childress to Vernon before I realized it. It was still there :biggrin_25517:

8. dedrouteCO

dedrouteCO Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Vail, CO
    I had to run into a Peterbilt shop a few months ago to buy a coolant cap. Mine didn't stay where I left it. 10+ years experience.

9. chrism1367

chrism1367 Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Well guys and gals thanks for making me feel better ha. I did do the fuel cap thing once, haven't forgot that again. I know it happens to everybody, maybe having anxiety doesn't help either

Badmon Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've snapped off a wiper arm after folding them down [with the hood down] to wash the windshield, then closed the hood. When I lowered the hood, I remembered what I forgot to do.

11. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Wait till you forget to put the oil cap back on!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.