Pre trip / post trip ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bdog, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I think I have been doing it wrong all along. I do a pretrip and check off the DVIR checklist as I do it before I drive each day.

I never do any kind of postrip. Never understood the point because the truck is stopped and I check it before it moves again. Why check the exact same things twice without the truck going anywhere? Seems to make more sense to check it in the morning before you start because a tire could go flat overnight or if you were idling overnight you could develop a leak or whatever.

I did some reading and it seems that the DVIR is supposed to be filled out at the end of each day? Am I supposed to fill anything out for the pretrip or just do it?

Grijon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

It is not the way it used to be...15 minute pre-trip in the morning.
    I know the E-logs require a "walk around" at the start of your work day then a 15 minute post trip..
    Really stupid in my opinion...

4. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Well, ya never know when a mouse could crawl into your carburetor or chew off a spark plug wire....wait, what? :eek:.

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Posy trip is to fine anything thats wrong so you can fix it before you waste your time tomorrow morning. I had done a post trip and found a flat tire and got it replace while I'm in the sleeper.

6. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Did a mouse chew a hole in it? LOL! sorry....

corneileous Thanks this.
  7. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    A quick post trip also lets you know if somehow you did any damage to your truck during the day.
    A good post trip at night followed by a bad pretrip in the morning means something happened while you weren't liable and you can CYA.

8. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    So if I am stopped by the dot I don't have to show them any paperwork for the pretrip I did that morning but I have to have a DVIR from the last day the truck was driven prioir to that day?

9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You will soon find out work on your truck all night so you can drive it all day, if you park after driving then during PTI the next day and and find a broken part that you will have to wait to have fixed when it could have been fixed the day before.

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    My post trip is more thorough then my pre trip. Flat tire, any kind of fluid leaks, oil seals, air leaks, etc..... Like said above, if you find a problem, you can get it fix while logged off instead of loosing time or a days work when on duty.

11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Just flag your pretrip on the log book when you start your day. That is all that is needed. DOT officer may or may not care but when you have an audit, they want to see it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.