Prime Apex Physical Info Requested

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Realist, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Realist

Realist Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I have an orientation date set to be at Prime on September 8th. I'm fine on blood pressure, medical stuff, etc. A friend who just finished upgrading to solo was explaining something called the Apex physical. He said it included a lot of weight lifting from 40lbs-80lbs including lifting a tarp that he wasn't sure the weight of (but I know they generally weigh 90lbs). He's going into reefer but he said everyone in his class had to do the lifting portion and hasn't had time to respond to me. I need to know, am I going to be sent home if I can't lift the 80 or possibly 90lbs? I know I can do 70 to my chest 5 times but, I know 90 is above my limit. Any recent grads or someone in orientation mind chiming in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LivingDatRoadLife

LivingDatRoadLife Light Load Member

May 20, 2015
    Out of site out of mind
    Stop doubting yourself you can lift it it's nothing & start building some strength by doing 50 push-ups a day

4. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Must be a new thing. I went to prime in 2014 and didn't have to take anything like that.

Kinda sucks, lifting the lumber tarps is a PITA. I mean its doable, but its not a pretty sight.

5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

Was going to comment about same & call out exageration by his buddy, but got tied up with some things here with student.

Unless things have changed, there is not a "lot of weight lifting"', and have never heard of Apex.

Think I remember one lift to see if you had ability, and duck walk to make sure you could get under trailer.

Sure don't remember anything intensive at all. Actually, physical went pretty #### quick after wait in "forever" cattle call line. Doc did/saw what he needed to see, nothing more & nothing less.

Heck, just realized......I will just ask my student when he gets up & post back. Duhhhh....... LOL!

:biggrin_25525:

6. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    It may be something new for people planning to go to flatbed, who knows. I've heard of other flatbed companies that have that kind of requirement though.

7. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Have reefer student.

Yes.......80# lifted to waist. Also, take a tarp off a shelf and put it back up.

:biggrin_25523:

n3ss Thanks this.
  8. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Everyone has to lift the tarp, and other weights from 25 to 50 pounds. The tarp may be 80lbs.

Don't worry about the physical. You are not going to be sent home over that. There was a guy in my class, who when asked to knell down on one knee and get back up, could not without using his hands. He was also too short to properly put the tarp on the shelf above his head, but was able to shove it up there. He is now on a truck. He bragged how his brother is a trainer/TNT.

Basically, if that guy made it, you'll make it so long as you don't go into cardiac arrest. No one is looking for a reason to send you home.

FullMetalJacket and n3ss Thank this.
  9. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Lame, but that doesn't sound too bad. 80# sounds like a lumber tarp... those are an unnecessary pain to toss on top of a headache rack, which is why i never bothered... They fit so well underneath.

Oh well, good info to know if i decide to start truckin again.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  10. 8PawsTrucking

8PawsTrucking Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Had to chime in. We're here now in training, and just finished the Apex physical yesterday. It's really nothing to worry about. The first part is lifting a box with 25 pounds to your chin, the next I believe was 65 or so again to your chin. The last part was 85 pounds or so to your waist. The next part was lifting a tarp off a tall shelf, to the ground and back up to the shelf. Then climbing up and down a ladder 2 steps, 6 times. There was one guy in our class that wouldn't bend at his knees to lift the boxes safely, and he is still here today.

I'm a 5'5" female, and passed all just fine. I had some issues at first with the tarp the guy asked if I was going for flat bed, I said no but wanted to nail it anyway. So I did. You'll do great!

Cheers!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.