Prime drop yards north of Boston? Where are they?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by morpheus, Mar 21, 2016.

1. morpheus

morpheus Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Hi,

I am torn between Prime and Celadon for differing reasons. I do not see many Celadon trucks in my area off I95 and 495 north of Boston but i see a ton of Prime rigs.

Are there any drop yards or places to leave your rig when on home time? I am pretty sure there is one in Haverhill off of 495 and route 97.

Any help would be great!!!

Does prime have a flatbed service to the northeast?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jordanes

Jordanes Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Prime doesn't have any dropyards in New England.

4. Jordanes

Mar 21, 2016
    I drove for Prime for 2&1/2 years, and spent WAY too much time in New England. What would you like to know?

5. morpheus

Jun 12, 2014
    I would like to know where you can leave your truck when you have home time.

There is a place about a half mile from my house that I am going to talk to and see if I can park it there,

What are your thoughts on Prime? I would go through their "schooling". I look at them as a cattle call place where they bring in 30 people and then send half home due to this and that.

Your opinions are appreciated with 2.5 yrs exp.

Thanks!

6. Jordanes

Mar 21, 2016
    I loved working for Prime...they were great to me. I only planned to drive a truck for a short amount of time in order to pay off debt so I could go onto my next life goal, and I chose Prime because the Pittston terminal is literally 3 miles away from my parents' house. Consequently, every single time I took home time, I left my truck at the yard there.

The closest operation Prime has to you where I know you could leave your truck when home is at the Wal-Mart DC in Lewiston, ME. The place you were thinking of up the road in Haverhill, General Mills, closed down last August (I bobtailed there once with the express instruction to take an empty trailer out of there). I know that Lewiston is rather far from you, though. The reason why you see so many Prime trucks up that way is because deliveries are being made to Lewiston, Prime guys are contracted to make deliveries from Lewiston to Wal-marts all over New England, and also some of the trucks are picking up potato loads from McCain in northern Maine (one of my personal favorite loads -- they generally go to Bethlehem or Syracuse, but I was lucky enough to get one once to Plover, WI).

I was dispatched out of Pittston, and my fleet manager was Jeremy -- a great guy, we got along well, and we still talk (I've been out of the truck now for over 6 months). If I were to return to trucking, I would definitely consider Prime again...though I probably would want to be dispatched out of SLC next time; I rarely got out west, and would love to see more of that part of the country.

Feel free to ask any more questions!

7. morpheus

Jun 12, 2014
    Great info, thanks!

Did you get your CDL through their school?

8. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    You would take the truck home , most likely they would ask you to drop the trailer somewhere ussually at the closest customer who allows us to do so , but that's not always the case if you have somewhere to park a trailer you could be able to take it home as well that is something that differs from FM to FM

9. Jordanes

Mar 21, 2016
    No, I got it through a community college in Virginia. I know Prime's program is really good, and would recommend anyone to do it through them (already have before, actually). I'm fairly certain that if you get the CDL through them, they do that only in Springfield. Since I already had my CDL going in, I was able to do everything through Pittston. That doesn't mean I never went to Springfield...I actually ended up spending quite a bit of time there (he was able to get me out of New England for quite a while and I mostly ran Midwest, which I massively preferred).

10. Jordanes

Mar 21, 2016
    Thank you, that sounds in line with what I've heard they do -- like I said, I always took my home time at the yard in Pittston, so I never had to worry about this stuff.

11. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Not to hijack the OP's thread but I have been looking at Prime myself. Actually, their "little bro" Wil-Trans. I'm planning on getting the A here in MA, rather than in MO. Got the permit in hand now. Just need the course and pass the road test.

My question is if anyone would know what they're rule of thumb is as to who can take their truck home, and who cannot? I see the OP is from the northern part of MA. I'm from the SE part, on the Cape so that would be a big perk if I would be able to do that eventually.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.