Prime Inc Flatbed

Discussion in 'Prime' started by TEN4DISPATCH, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TEN4DISPATCH

TEN4DISPATCH Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2007
    BALTIMORE MD
    I`ve been working for two years for a an east coast based trucking company as a dispatcher. During these times i have talked to alot of drivers about varias companies. So far prime inc has attracted me the most. i have a class b cdl and have worked as a jard jockey in my previous jobs. The company that am with is going to train me free of charge and get me my cdl without any contract(they are that nice) I love pysical work and i think that flatbed is good for me plus i hear it pays more.I am tired of sitting down for tens hrs a day five days a week starring at a monitor. Could someone give me any info on prime inc`s flatbed training, pay, freight and treatment . Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    Ok here goes are you ready? SLAP SLAP SLAP, SMACK SMACK, KICK KICK KICK now that we have that out of the way you know how it feels or that's what you'll hear on here from former drivers, I just wanted to be the first to slap you around.

Honestly I have met online several people who drive Flatbed for them and they love it. I've talked to 1 trainer and he seems petty happy with them.

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Now, instead of sitting down and staring at a monitor for 10 hours a day, you will be sitting down and staring OUT a windshield for 11 hours (or more) per day.

5. TEN4DISPATCH

TEN4DISPATCH Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2007
    BALTIMORE MD
    Someone once told me that prime inc has alot of freight and you dont have to sit around waiting. The only thing i dont like about their trainig is that you have to be with a trainer for abot 5 months. i really dont mind as long as am trained right. I will be relocating to florida in about 3 years. Will this impact my home time ,freight consistency etc? Am looking forward to the day i will be loading/unloading my own trailer.

6. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Number one.....Flatbedders don't Load & Unload their trailers....they throw tarps...straps....chains.....they don't load or unload. Living in FL will be a problem for most any type of trucking....not getting home....the loads pay good going in.....they just don't pay anything coming out.... Prime has a Floral division that has one of it's bases in FL....and you unload the floral loads.....and they PAY!!!

If you want to unload freight....go to work for Con-way....those guys have to work the docks every night.....no matter what the weather....rain...shine....freezing cold... they unload and load freight.....then haul it home.

Heck, I even unloaded a couple of loads of meat this past weekend.....not a big deal....take a layer off here.....layer off there.....paid me an extra $190 for the 2....and it wasn't a big deal. Not to mention....REFRIGERATED!!.....

I like Prime....a lot of the guys you talk to here say all they want to do is rip you off......well....they must have overlooked me....I'm makin' money.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!:thumbleft::thumbleft:

7. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    Yeah I'm leaning their way from what I've seen so far not a bad company. I only hear whining from people who don't really have much reason for whinning.
    The lease seems to be the main reason, but not everyone is cut out to run a business. To me it seems like leasing would be a good idea to get your feet wet before making the serious commitment to purchsing a truck, because if you can make it as a lease operator then you'll make even more money when you buy a truck.

8. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    I have a couple of questions re: Prime (Flatbed). What kind of flatbeds does Prime run, 48 or 53's? Spread axles? Curious as their flatbed customer base, who are their largest customers. Anybody have a idea what their O/R has been for the last few quarters?

9. Familyman

Familyman Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Catoosa Oklahoma
    Lets set the record straight, For anyone to say that ,Flatbed drivers dont load or unload there loads, Is truely miss informed, 1. I guess you think that the bulkhead is built by its self. 2. I guess you think that when you have a double stack load of plywood, That the spacers between the plywood , Just jumps up there automatically. 3. How do you think ,the 4x4 blocks, that sit between a load of stainless steel Bars, Gets on the trailer, I will be the first one to say, I have never pulled refer before, All so I will admit, That I dont claim to know what is all involved in getting a refer load ready, But I do know that , A flatbed hauler is alot more involved. In getting his load , Loaded and unloaded. Thanks familyman.

10. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    I think that PRIME runs the 48 foot and the 48 foot step deck.

11. tazmanian devil

tazmanian devil Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2009
    dallas tx
    trailers r retinouer 48ft flatbed spread axle 53ft stepdeck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.