Prime Inc. Orientation Oct, 2010

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by bodiej, Nov 7, 2010.

1. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Original Poster seems to be now FLAT BEDDING with SWIFT ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

4. Pinoy51563

Pinoy51563 Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Ewa Beach,Hawaii
    That's true. I only went home like four times last year I was with them by my choice. And I hauled many medical loads that paid $2.50 to $3.00 a mile to the truck going from the East coast to the Southern California area. Do the math it adds up.

one37 Thanks this.
  5. Maverick & Goose

Maverick & Goose Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2010
    scottsdale,az
    I spoke to a recruiter at Prime and he advised me that it was easier if I recieved my Class A permit from my homestate. Why on earth did you have to take another physical? Also was it any different then the standard DOT physical and drug screening. I am just curious because I plan on going there in the near future.

6. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    They have no idea who did your existing DOT physical, and under what conditions it was given. This one is with our in-house doctor, so they KNOW it was done properly. There are a ton of quacks, chiropractors and charlitans out there who will sign a DOT physical form for anyone!

7. Maverick & Goose

Maverick & Goose Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2010
    scottsdale,az
    If you already hold a dot medical card, why do they have you take another physical and drug screen? Is it just the standard for this company, or do they have their own drug and physical test that you must pass. In other words is this a standard DOT exam? Please let me know at your earliest convinience.

8. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    The post above from Iron Pony,and if that does not convince you,it is THIER tuck,-they make the rules......:biggrin_2556:

9. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yup, DOT "standard" plus whatever other conditions the company screens for - i.e., sleep apnea and BMI limits.

It doesn't matter that "you hold a DOT medical card." They will have you do another physical. As Bumpy149 said, its their truck and they make the rules. BTW... this is a common practice in the industry - not all companies will redo your physical, but many do.

10. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Your DOT card is the minimum requirements. Truck companies are allowed to set more stringent standards if they choose. Yes and no to your question. Prime while hold you to a higher standard in the BMI Index dept.

You seem a little too worried about your physical. Maybe thou dost protest too much.

Prime uses their own doctor, that way some schmuck can't pay off, or shop around for a shady doctor to sign off on their DOT card.

Oh, and after you get hired, there are only a select few doctors you are allowed to use to renew your DOT physical.

11. bodiej

bodiej Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Nevada
    I did leave Prime and I still dont have anything bad to say at all. The reason I left was more home time. When I returned home I went through a local truck school and got my CDL for $1,200. I went through Swift's orientation and flatbed tie down training and im currently waiting on a Mentor (Primes Instructor) but I really want to go back to Prime. The main reasons I want to go back to Prime is.......
    Prime has APU's on all their trucks with inverters
    Prime allows you to have a fridge in your truck
    Primes fladbed division seems better in regards to staff and trailers
    Prime pays more from the start
    Swift strictly prohibits the use of inverters or a fridge in your truck and will be automatic termination if found. Swift has old and crappy flatbed trailers. Swift starting pay is lower but after a year will be more than Prime by a cent or two.
    However I do like Swifts training program you are generally released from your Mentor within 6 weeks. Prime hold you team driving for 60K miles. I really just dont want to be with someone else that long.

So in short the only thing I dont like about Prime is the HomeTime only once a month. Other companies I have a list of several things I dont like.

one37, glider7 and MoneyCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.