prime lightweight tractors

Discussion in 'Prime' started by mjtags, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    All of Primes loads are timed at 50 mph for one. So you can do 62 MPH all you want only to be sitting at a truck stop for the time that you "gained" by running 62 mph. In addition you just burned more fuel, which means you lost that money, Just to get to sit a some crappy Truck Stop.

In addition all company drivers sign a contract with Prime that states they will get/maintain 7.50 MPG. Lease drivers don't sign that contract.

Also, I think some of it is to slow the new drivers down untill they gain experience enough to be able to handle the truck at higher speeds.

I know before I left, I was getting loads that required me to run at 62 mph in order to make the delivery on time, and Im not talking about a short 500 mile run but runs from CA to OH. And this was pretty much the norm towards then end, plus my FM always gave me extra pay for those loads.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    34cpm x 3000 miles = $1020. Or 42cpm x 2500 miles = $1050 + 4cpm fuel bonus = $1150. The mindset is simple Ill take $1150 over $1020.

Ditch Doctor and Highway101 Thank this.
  4. oneshyne

oneshyne Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Northern NJ
    iron let me ask you & any other prime company drivers is it possible to get the decal of what company drivers want on there trucks like L/O can get them or company drivers cant get those decals cause they not LO

5. cardinals1970

cardinals1970 Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2013
    New Albany, IN
    Company drives I have been told can add decals but at their own expense and they have to be able to be removed without hurting the paint when the truck is turned in. The decals on the lease truck. I am pretty sure raises the payments the lease guys make.

oneshyne Thanks this.
  6. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    That's ridiculous.

A lightweight truck means absolutely nothing to anyone but shippers. 80k = 80k = 80k.

Want to save fuel and the environment? Refuse to haul more than 30k pounds (especially if the route requires mountain driving).

7. oneshyne

oneshyne Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Northern NJ
    thanks cardinal appreciate it I don't mind paying for the decals

8. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    yeah its nothing to anybody but shippers...

You're right, Prime hasn't thought to charge a premium for the ability to pack on 48-49k lbs of freight into our light weight trucks paired with our lightweight trailers at close to 80k gross. They're probably charging the same rate for the guy that can carry 44-45k.

9. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Get it done wrong and I bet you'll mind paying for a paint job.

10. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    My point remains. Lightweight trucks do nothing for the drivers. It's just another way for companies to make a buck off the back of their employees with no benefit to the employee.

11. Ditch Doctor

Ditch Doctor Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Olathe, KS

How dare they try and make more money! I figured they'd willingly run at a loss just to keep drivers happy. If only they offered some sort of incentive for being in a lightweight, since the driver doesn't have as much room as they would if they were in a full sized condo. .05/mile sounds like it wouldn't be bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.