Prime medical requirements

Discussion in 'Prime' started by CurbJumper, Jul 24, 2015.

1. CurbJumper

CurbJumper Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Greetings, drivers.

I am considering a career in driving, and am most likely going to go with Prime.
    Last year I had a heart attack, and had 2 stents installed. I have since been using a CPAP (was diagnosed with severe apnea, blood oxygen level was in the pits), quit smoking (smoked for 22 years), and have gotten my blood pressure under control (I was at 204/99). I am 38 yrs old, 6'2", and 300lbs. I have also recently been prescribed an antidepressant (Zoloft).
    Will any of this send up any red flags to Prime's medical/safety personell?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Just out of curiosity what's your blood pressure now? Depending on what it is you may be issued a 6 or 12 month medical card. It's pretty much up to their insurance co. whether they hire you or not. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

4. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Don't know how to advise on this one. Sorry! You could call a local DOT doctor and ask them. That way you get prechecked.

XI'm guessing you don't have current medical?

5. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    The Zoloft might, and they will probably need readings from your CPAP or from the provider who prescribed and/or supplied the machine.

PChase Thanks this.
  6. CurbJumper

Jul 24, 2015
    133/90

Current medical what? You mean DOT physical? A few years ago I had a job that required a class C. The last time I had a physical, they only gave me a 6 month card because of my high blood pressure.....but that was before I got on the meds.

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  7. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gotcha! Like I said, call a DOT certified doctor and ask. They will know for sure.

CurbJumper Thanks this.
  8. CurbJumper

Jul 24, 2015
    I know I can pass the physical. I'm just worried that my recent medical history and the fact that I'm on so many medications will stack heavily against my chances of employment. I guess for a 20yr vet, they'd be alot more likely to overlook issues like these. However I'm unsure that since I'm a noob, if they would consider me too much of a liability.

9. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for your service!

Let us know what you find out!

10. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Prime requires BP to be below 140/90. Also as you are a vet, go to your doc and get a complete pyhsical. Tricare WILL NOT pay for a DOT pyshical BTW. You may have a problem with the Zoloft, best to get in touch with the Prime Doctor on that. The recruiters should have the nbr for you. Also make sure you are totally open on your application about your medical issue's on you App to Prime, any discussion with the recruiter about it should also be followed up with an EMail msg to them, They (the recruiter) probably will not acknowledge the msg, but its a CYA. Also take a copy of all correspondence with you to Oreintation, again CYA, you DO NOT want to get into the he said/she said game during the interview. The copies of the correspondence will stop that quick. Best of luck to you, Prime does a good job with us Vets, an really likes having them on board.

CurbJumper and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  11. dieseltrooper

dieseltrooper Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2014
    OKC,OK
    Prime does not need to know about the zoloft.

CurbJumper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.