Prime or medium size company.

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Tony646, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Tony646

Tony646 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Does anyone have experience with eastern freightways out of New Jersey ? Sister company to NEMF? I've been approved for both Prime and EF and it's becoming a hard decision to choose one or the other. I'm sure Prime has the better equipment , probably better training and all, but EF drivers average $50k+ per year starting for new drivers. Also weekends off. Any input would be more than appreciated since I already have orientation days set for both.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Go to eastern freight ways. There are issues but you'll be home every weekend if you choose to be. Money is about the same at either

4. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

I worked there for almost 3 years.

5. Tony646

Tony646 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Is Eastern Freightways worth passing over on Prime? I'm sure Prime is top notch but EF seems to have those missing qualities. Home time and probably an extra couple of bucks.
    Just quit my box truck job. Was salary at $1000 per week, 5 days . NYC deliveries. I'm 45, wife and kids. Looking to gain tractor experience. Just looking for as much info as possible.
    Why did you leave Eastern?

6. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Sick of NYC/ NJ all the time and trailer issues. Lots of d&h and you have to really make sure you inspect stuff before you take it because morons drop OOS trailers and don't care. If you know NYC you have a leg up on 99.9% of new drivers.
    These places are all the same, but the being home on weekends is a plus with them because they really do try to get you home.

7. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Oh and apparently a good chunk of your paycheck at prime depends on saving fuel aka driving like an old lady all day long in a rolling roadblock to get fuel bonuses. If that doesn't bother you, go for it they have all soerts of threads here for prime drivers. Most of them will answer any questions you might have.
    But for me, with kids, being home once a week is a necessity.

freightwipper Thanks this.
  8. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Oh, and don't lease. That's for kids with no family. You'll never get home if you do that....

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. Tony646

Tony646 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm already numb to NYC/LI traffic. It's definately not an area to get paid by the miles if you ask me.
    I'm supposed to be on the bus for prime on Sunday or be in camp hill, pa for EF on Monday . I do like Prime. 40k miles of training does sound excessive but I'm sure I can only benefit from that training experience.
    I'm guessing if you were in shoes you'd go with EF?

10. Tony646

Tony646 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Meant my shoes

11. Tony646

Tony646 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Kids or no kids I wouldn't lease without any experience anyway. Too old to make those types of mistakes without any experience. I'm sure many people lease more out of excitement than anything else. ive heard common sense is not that common nowadays .

darthanubis and pete1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.