Prime, Training and Pay

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Jonathan Vick, Oct 28, 2015.

1. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Sure did.

I spoke to my payroll manager. She explained to add per diem and gross, then divide by miles. The gross is taxable the per diem is not.

This week was the first full check without trainer miles. 2166 miles and I took two days home.

$.40 cpm before per diem. After per diem, .$48 cpm!

That'll work!

Two other guys, former roommate went company as well. One says he is making money but now thinks he should have took a lightweight for the bonus I'm getting, fuel and lightweight. This is the guy who asked for a condo and was given one. The other guy, is getting off to a bad start with a lemon lightweight cascadia. I told him, ask for another truck. The Qualcomm messages from the last driver say, 'get me out of this lemon!' Lol!

I'm now going to see how many miles I can rack up each week. One of my buddies is averaging 2700 miles per week. BTW, I'm only doing max mph at 62. So, I could be making more. I've had a lot of mountainous driving and high headwinds from Montana to Illinois. I found the wheel for four states and knew my mileage was in the tank, literally. But, good ole lightweight, brand new navistar 13, still beat the fleet average!

Also, that Cheyenne load was so heavy I had to slide the fifth wheel. I never could get it back in the slot I started in, third hole I believe. I just left it on fourth. It just kept jumping a whole notch.

I digress.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Good deal!
    You'll get there. I wanted to mention that I hear a lot from new drivers in they're first year, many say they're running 2700-2800 miles. That's what I thought I was running in my first year, until I sat down and figured it out using all the settlements from about 8 months into my first year. Including home time it was more like 2300 miles 52 week average for the 1st year. I would have swore it was 2700 or so but when I put it on paper and did the math, nope, guess it always feels like more even though not including home time it might have been 2700 so the money's there I'm not telling you to be discouraged. So from then on I continued to take notes of my mileage for the week the date and net pay and if a week was good or bad I'd jot down a little note with the reason. I'd add up totals at the end of a quarter and this tracked seasons. It turned out to be a really good thing for me to do if I had a bad week when I took notes of it I would further review it, I would go over in my head what I could have done differently. I would set goals for the quarter and for the year. I believe that actually tracking my mileage is a big one of reasons why that my productivity has gotten better over time, it really helped me. Then later on I started tracking my savings in the same way and setting quarterly and annual goals with that as well, I really can't tell you how much setting goals and tracking It on paper helped me constantly improve.
    Keep breaking that engine in the fuel mileage will keep going up as you do not sure for how long in the PS' s but in the FL's it was the first 20-30k.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Brehon and darthanubis Thank this.
  4. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Looks like the lightweight is for one person only...can you request a condo as a new driver (once you get the required experience) if you are planning on taking a passenger regularly?

5. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    You can request.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.