problems with detroit , houston area

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by pavrom, Oct 26, 2016.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    can anyone help with trusted shop to service detroit in 2005 century
    we did overhaul probably 200k ago at dealer and since then never had any single problem with engine , recently changed the manifold due to the crack .
    today in the morning driver started experiencing lack of power , hiccups (clogged fuel filter symptoms)
    when he goes on the road truck does not speed up more that 30mph and idling rough trying to shut down

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Did you change fuel filters. If so make,sure the O rings are ok and thr spin nut to clamp the bowl didn't get crossed threaded

4. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    filter been changed in chicago last week ... this is 1st thing we checked .... i am thinking about injector ....or it sucking air somewhere

5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Does it start hard. Before starting . look and see if there is fuel in the plastic bowl. If not then someone goofed putting on new fuel filter. Trust me, I've had it happen no fuel means an air vent in the system. Also look and see when running if air bubbles in the fuel. If that then the check vavle is bad in the fuel filter body

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    it starts hard .... i thought about check valve again (replaced check valve last winter)
    no plastic bowl on this truck :(
    mechanic showed up and pointed hole in the fuel line ... i hope thats the reason

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Fuel pump O ring. If it is taking in air, you aint gonna get power.

Intercooler line clamps to turbo. If you caved in a clamp the overall air to engine sucks. (Pardon the pun...)

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    not sure about fuel pump o ring ... can this happen overnight ?
    truck was running perfect just yesterday

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Eh, just ideas. Ive had a few pumps burn through when the seals broke. Result is a 10 mph sick doggie crawling to shop. Any sort of water kills it. There is a story somewhere in my thousands of posts about it.

Somewhere somehow you will find the real problem.

Engines need fire to run, fuel to get it. Air to breathe to burn and compression to light it.

10. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    What are the RPMs like? Can you throttle the RPMs higher than about 850? I'm assuming during the rebuild the valve lash got adjusted...or when was the last time the valves were adjusted?

11. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm wondering if you have a fueling issue caused by the injectors as well. You could have a multitude of issues.
    Seized injector, broken tip, cracked injector bodies.

Are you getting excessive black or white smoke? Maybe you're getting excessive aeration in the fuel?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.