PRODUCT REVIEW: Screaming meanie alarm clock:

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Powell-Peralta, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    (By the way, there should be a product review section....)

Anyways, i would like to review the screaming meanie alarm clock.

i decided that with my new schedule, i needed a good decent dependable alarm clock. The problem was with my wristwatch or cellphone alarms, i often wouldn't hear them; i wear earplugs.

So, i needed something louder. i had been reading ads for the screaming meanie in the back of truck magazine for years and decided to give it a try. i got it at petro for, i think $39 but don't remember, you could look it up.

There are three settings----normal which is about the same as a cellphone or wristwatch alarm. Medium which is pretty loud maybe the same as a smoke detector. And high, which is fricking loud! i think medium will work for most people and don't recommend high because it could give you a heart attack.

The other thing is that it gives you 2 pre-alarms, 10 and 5 mins before the actual alarm setting. There's no way to disarm these So, if you wanted to wake up at 7:00 am, you would actually have to set the alarm for 7:10 am. This kind of gives you two automatic snoozes. i kind of wish they did not put this unarmable feature in here, but other than that the alarm works.

Also, it's made in china so i don't expect it to last longer than a year, but other than that it does it's job of waking you up good.

Red Beard Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Had a Meanie for years still works although anymore I only use it if the power goes out at the house. If the loud setting does not wake you, you must be dead.

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    preferred the Screaming Eagle. Plugged into the front cig outlet you had to get out of bed to turn off! And just as loud as the meanie. But when cell phones came out with an alarm and set it to sound just like the phone I never slept through it like the Eagle and meanie! And yes I have! I've even had drivers parked next to me come beat on the door to have me turn the silly thing off or as one said check to make sure I WASNT DEAD!

5. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

Yep I rmember the Screaming Meanie. Used one when I was OTR. One time I was Exhausted. Set it for 14 hours on high. I was like I will wake up BS I did. Until the drivers next to me shook my butt out of the BUNK screaming shut that SOB off. I was Nose in and they were still ########.

6. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    They've got some cool alarms for those hard to wake up people. Not good for a truck but I like the ones that have wheels and take off. They jump off the table and you have to catch it to shut it off.:biggrin_2559:

Some have a few questions you have to answer like simple math problems in order for them to shut up.:biggrin_2556:

7. Kiviknon

Kiviknon Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I've had my meanie for 4 years. I've replaced the battery twice. Also if you wait for a sale it will be $20 or $25.

8. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    The meanies are detriment to getting good sleep to your fellow drivers.

It used to piss me off to no end when I'm getting a good sleep and along about 2 am some guy 4 trucks down (shut off, cool night) wouldn't wake up and shut his off.

If you sleep that hard you might need medical help. Or a hearing aid!!!!!

luvmyhubby Thanks this.
  9. Kiviknon

Kiviknon Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Come on, I went right from sleeping next to arty to driving a truck. I sleep thru anything.

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    In the first couple hrs of falling asleep I can sleep thru a lot.

By 2 am not so much.

11. beancounter

beancounter Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Greenville, MI
    Hey Kiviknon, who do you pull for out of the Fayetteville area? Just tryin to do some research on potential future employers.

Sorry to bomb the thread, everyone....carry on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.