project truck /offroad

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by joestjean, Sep 28, 2016.

1. joestjean

joestjean Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Hey all. I'll apologize ahead of time as this question /consult is perhaps not what this forum is about.

I am in the early stages of planning a project which would amount to an offroad capable semi truck.

My plan is to find an older rig (perhaps KW 900, Ford L9000 ,International paystar or the like ) and add a transfer case and front diff making it a 6x6, or, converting the rears to accept dozer tracks or similar tracks.

I'd end up lifting the frame hight for added clearance and make a few other additions to the rig.

My question to you guys who have experience operating and working on these trucks is; is there some obvious reason I'm missing that this couldn't work?.

The purpose of the truck would be mainly a farm rig, bit if I went the 6x6 route I'd want to keep it roadable.

Question#2 would be is there some reason why a rig set up like this wouldn't be able to handle harsh offroad conditions as well as I imagine it would?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    With the crash in oil prices I'm sure there are a few old trucks like this sitting on the auction lots.

4. 59MackB61

59MackB61 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Not sure where you are at but cheap army trucks are a dime dozen and would be the way to go then if you decided to make one out of a KW or Ford you would have the drive train and just need to swap it over.

Or go Northern Mech route, but I doubt those heavy trucks would be good on a farm and repairs for a 80k planatary would be very pricy. Oil rig trucks at auction usally bring a lot of money in my experience.

5. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    IMG_4521.JPG IMG_4522.JPG IMG_4523.JPG Take a look at Truck Paper, will give you an idea of prices, and you'll see plenty of Ex military Oshkosh tractors, which I don't think would be good for over the road, very low top speed and heavy. I've seen them in farm use, real stump pulling power.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.