Proper Pre-Trip For Newbies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by American-Trucker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I am medicineman

I am medicineman Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Kemper County, Mississippi

Yes, the "official list'.

It has things that the "union linehaulers" wanted for themselves, and don't apply to real OTR.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DispatcherExtraordinaire

DispatcherExtraordinaire Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks for the list! As a dispatcher, I have had a rough time with a few drivers who aren't motivated or just don't know how to do a pre-trip and I believe its because they really aren't sure how to do one completely. This list will help greatly for new-hires, as well! Kudos!

4. DispatcherExtraordinaire

DispatcherExtraordinaire Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ah ha....my newbie drivers have been taking this pre-trip posting too seriously!

5. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Pac NW
    Ok, here's a pre-trip inspection question...

Brake chamber/slack adjuster check.
    I'm looking for the 'best' time during pre-trip to do brake checks.
    Now, according to the check-list from my school, I should be checking for that 1" or less of push-rod travel with the parking control valve set. That works fine for service brakes, but not for spring brake chambers, right? I know that I can check spring brake chambers, if pre-marked, for 1-1/2" - 2" of travel with brakes applied, but there will be no 'travel' at the push-rod.
    Is there an 'optimal' time to check ALL brakes, with just one trip under the vehicle, and the ability to observe/measure push-rod travel? How do you check your brakes? Am I over thinking this?

What do you think, drivers?

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

It's no more then 1" of free play with the braks RELEASED! lol

Best and Easyest way to do it, check your tractor without the trailer, back up to a curb, chock the wheels, and leave it in gear, then check it.

For the trailer just pull the yellow button and push in the red one and chock the trailer wheels and check them.

American Trucker

Director, AZ_Equine and B.A.D. Thank this.
  7. skeet

skeet Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Hot Springs, AR

I am such a noob that I squeak when I walk, but I have that list printed and laminated already..:)

Kudos indeed, AT!

8. Badger55

Badger55 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Bonners Ferry, ID
    Thank you for taking the time and effort to put this together. It is copied out and included as part of the on the road library. Nice job.

Director and American-Trucker Thank this.
  9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Pac NW
    yea, that's what I meant... lol
    <1" travel with brakes released (yellow knob IN), and 1-1/2"-2" with brakes applied (yellow knob OUT).
    I agree with you that the best way to check all push-rods would be with all brakes released, transmission in gear, engine off, wheels chocked. The "check list" has us doing it with parking brake applied though, so that it's possible to check travel at only the drive axles that don't have spring brakes. I was just tryin to do it in an order that would allow for just one trip under the vehicle, and cut down on total inspection time. Seems to me that a good pre-trip should take however long it takes, but they're grading us on time as well as accuracy, so just trying to be efficient.

Thanks for the tip and correction! :biggrin_25514:

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  10. xitman

xitman Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    It's good list, but in reality no one does it every single day.

11. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

clearly you've never met a real truck driver then....

American Trucker

oldschooljordache and Director Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.