Proper Pre-Trip For Newbies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by American-Trucker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Pac NW
    Got a perfect score on the pre-trip practical test today, and did it in 50 minutes. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Congrats! What took so long?

I got 100% on mine to but it only took me 15-20 minutes lol

American Trucker

B.A.D. Thanks this.
  4. xitman

xitman Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Well then I guess about 99% of the drivers out there aren't real then.

5. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

close.... its more like 95%, there what ya call Steering wheel holders. Walk or waddle around with there cowboy hats and boots, fingerless gloves, bluetooth headsets, havent showered in a week, there pre trip consists of turning the truck on...you get the point

American Trucker

Jamming Gears Thanks this.
  6. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    I was once told by my former instructors that Nevada was one of the toughest states to obtain a CDL license because of the high standards and tough requirements as far as passing the road test and pre-trip inspection.

My point: how are drivers getting their CDL licenses if they are having trouble with conducting a proper vehicle inspection AFTER they were licensed? A pre-trip inspection is a requisite that one must pass before a person is even -allowed- to take the road test.

I dunno, maybe I'm suddenly confused...

7. JimDriv3r

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    I wouldn't say that those drivers "aren't real". More like under-qualified to drive.

8. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

maybe there just memorizeing it for the test then after the pass they forget about it lol

American Trucker

JimDriv3r Thanks this.
  9. JimDriv3r

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    They can't be allowed to forget, what with the inspections being a federal law and all...

The law is the law: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/facts-research/research-technology/publications/accidenthm/vehicle.htm

Director Thanks this.
  10. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Pac NW

Well, I think it takes longer to actually verbalize everything I'm inspecting than it would if I were just doing the inspection on my own and not having to explain it to the instructor.

For example, it takes twice as long to say:

"I'm checking the left front drive dual tires for proper inflation; no cuts, exposed cords, bumps or abrasions in the sidewall; no dents or cracks in the bead flange; no cracks or welds in the wheel rim; no cracked, distorted, loose or missing lugnuts, rust trails, or 'shiny' threads; valve stem is not bent, broken, or leaking; axle seal is securely mounted and not leaking; tread depth is a minimum of 2/32" in all major grooves; tire appears to be wearing evenly; duals are not mismatched size or type"

than it does to just silently check those things. At least for me.
    Today I got it down to 40 minutes, incuding in-cab air brake checks.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Big Les

Big Les Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I know im a little late in the postings, but I went to AIT in Las Vegas, NV. Nevada schools arent hard just like any other school as long as you pay attention to detail, listen and do exactly what the instructors teach, then your good to go.:biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.