Proper Pre-Trip For Newbies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by American-Trucker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. WRIGHTRACING

WRIGHTRACING Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    I went to C-1 in North Little Rock, AR...They had a 108 part pre-trip you had to know word for word, and could miss no more than 8 before you went to take your test. Then you also had to get the air brake test 100% right on top of the 108 part.

I scored a 106 and 107 and passed the week before I went for my CDL test. I could do it in 10-12 minutes flying thru it, and still missed a stupid mistake...Forgot to say secured on clutch and shifter...This was just me seeing how fast I could get it.

Went to the DMV and scored 106 on it. IDK if they teach different ways of saying it at the schools, or does each state require you to say it differently. Doing a pre-trip with some of the instructors, takes about 5 mins. They start the truck, turn on lights and flashers, hit the tires with a stick, and hit the road. Sure they check the oil, just not daily. A lot of the pretrip that takes so long to say, is much easier done. As stated above, on all lights we were required to say"clearance lights:secured, no cracked or broken lenses, no moisture and working, amber in color."

Now unless some ####### in a truck stop parking lot jumped up their last night and changed the cover, I'm sure they are still amber...but you never know. Also when you turn the lights on, look, they work, great let's roll...If not, climb up their and fix it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

There is learning to pass the 'test' (memorizing a script) and actually KNOWING how to do it. I'm going to an 'accelorated' course and it is memorizing a script. I'm 'suppose' to learn the 'how' w/my trainer... now if that actually happens or not, will be the question. Luckly I will (WHEN,not if, I get my CDL) be teaming w/my husband who will teach me the how's and why's of what to look for and how to fix it - even when to call the company about it. Now for others that have the knowledge already as to the how and why - but still don't do it - its called lazyness... I come from a nursing background and if you charted it (in this case logged it) you best have done it!! You are documenting on a LEGAL document that it has been done. IF something happens 'down the road' that could have been prevented by just noting it in a PTI - your backside and CDL as well as other peoples lives are on the line. Needless to say I'm not planning on being lazy about it - but I'm also sitting in a motel room still going through classes learning my script...

4. ave

ave Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    try to drive a brand new truck everytime!:biggrin_25522:if its new you should be able to get that load to the dock

5. jersey01

jersey01 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Vernon N.J.
    I always make sure I have a BIG mug of fresh hot coffee

6. spacemaker

spacemaker Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Mississippi
    Good list!

Thanks for sharing it.

7. Redwave

Redwave Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    I will never understand the mentality of the trucking industry. I have flown airplanes for almost 40 years now--civilian/military/airlines. We always used checklists which you held in your hand and read each step for the operation you were doing. Depending on the airplane you read to yourself or someone else. We used our checklists as "do" lists--you do the procedure and then use the list to check yourself that it was done right. Aviation has proven there is no reason to memorize everything--you tend to forget steps and sometimes that can be deadly. DOT should make a checklist for every type of truck and let drivers use it.

flyingmusician and Fergie Thank this.
  8. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

First, for Avation they do that so you dont mess up, there is NO room for erorr in avation, you mess up...people are going to die. (p.s I'm a A&P Technician):biggrin_25522:

Secound, all trucks are the same so no need to make a differant list for east truck, the only differance from one truck to another is the body and interior, everything else is the same. And you can use a checklist all you want AFTER you get your CDL, but they want to know you KNOW what to look for.

American Trucker

Director Thanks this.
  9. 2 Speed

2 Speed Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Arvada, Colorado
    With CSA2010 Pre and Post trips are no joke. Develop good habits now, and don't get caught with your shorts down later. Remember mechanical faults found during DOT inspections now count against the drivers score as well. Besides..... If you perform your inspections when and how your suppose to, you will catch most issues before they leave you stranded or in violation.:biggrin_25525:

grusco and Director Thank this.
  10. tulendown

tulendown Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I too used checklists why in the military loading nukes. Repetition of a set procedure is the best teacher. Why not allow a checklist for pre-trip? Would be a great aid.

11. HouseOfPain

HouseOfPain Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Beyond the milky way
    You can make your own check list... No one is saying not to :biggrin_2559:

Director Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.