Proscar shaking issue

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by biggjerryc, Oct 2, 2015.

1. biggjerryc

biggjerryc Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2012
    lansdale pa
    PROSTAR*

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I drive for a common carrier and I have a 2013 Prostar daycab with an ISX motor.

At highway speed (50mph-68mph) the truck has a wheel speed shake that nobody can seem to figure out. Here's the strange part... It comes and goes constantly. It will be driving perfectly smooth for typically 5-10 seconds. Then gradually over about a 15 second time period, the shake starts to progress, it peaks, and then fades out. And then it drives smooth for 5-10 seconds until the shake starts to come on again.

The truck has 230k. The shake started about 150k miles ago. All wheels and tires have been replaced since it started. The leveling valve has been replaced. It has been aligned although not perfect. Bumps do not change the shake (so if it's shaking and you slam a bad highway Crack or Bridge joint, it doesn't go away)

Any insight on this? It's driving me nuts

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowtipper

Cowtipper Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Did they use virgin rubber or recaps when they changed tires?

Most trucks I have driven have done the same thing. An older mechanic said it's tandem hop. Especially if they used recaps.

It could also be a brake drum balance issue. Had a Freightliner that had out of balance brake drums. After 125-150,000 miles it started wearing the tires funny. After the replacement set wore exactly like the originals, they checked with Freighliner, turns out that Freightliner had a bad batch of drums from their supplier. They replaced the drums, and everything was smooth. Maybe one of your balance weights on your brake drums came off

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You have to jack up each wheel and spin it to make sure it is spinning true. I bet you have a wheel or hub that is spinning out of round.

5. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    Had a similar problem with a Cascadia that I was driving, the truck had only 58,000 miles on it, boss took it in and the Dealership did not look to fix it, anyway the shake was so bad that the dash started to rattle like it was coming apart and the radio would stop working, kept telling the boss about it and the boss said he will not fix it so I had no choice but to move on, the company was a Bosnian owned and they have a different mind set.....

6. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Mine does it from time to time depening on the tlr I have, If any of the wheels have a flat spot on the tlr I end up feeling it in the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.