Prostar A/C Oil Question

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by VLSanders2013, Mar 22, 2015.

1. VLSanders2013

VLSanders2013 Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2013
    2009 International ProStar w/sleeper.

I am replacing my A/C compressor and Have a question of "how much oil to add"

I know the system has a 300cc (10.14oz) capacity.

I have bought the compressor from International. Is it pre-Filled with the 300cc of Oil?

If not how do I determine how much oil is remaining in the system or is there some rule of thumb to follow.

I am replacing the compressor, Receiver/Dryer and the expansion valve on the cab side.

I am replacing the R-134a that, to my knowledge, is not charged with oil and DOES NOT have the sealant and dye in it.

Thanks for the help!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Great question. It is impossible to properly answer, LOL! The only way to know how much to add to the system you need to know how much is already in there. The problem is, you can't tell how much is in there. When changing a compressor, the right way is to drain out all the oil from the new compressor into a clean container. Then drain out all the oil from the old compressor into a measuring cup to see how much was in the old compressor. Then re-add the same amount of new oil to the new compressor that came out of the old compressor. When recovering the system I have seen 1 oz of oil come out with the charge sometimes, and other times no oil. But when you recover, whatever amount of oil comes out needs to be re-added too.
    There is a "rule of thumb" which should get you in the ballpark;
    Compressor 6.75 oz
    Evaporator 2 oz
    Condenser 1 oz
    Filter/dryer 0.5 oz
    Expansion valve none
    high/low pressure switches none
    each normal length line, 0.3 oz
    Too much oil will result in lazy a/c system, not cold. Too little will result in premature compressor failure, so this is tight balancing act. I would prefer to have too little compared to too much, but still try to be safe about it. More isn't always better.

VLSanders2013 Thanks this.
  4. VLSanders2013

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks HeavyD.

That should get me in the ballpark. Front seal of compressor bad so know telling how much oil went with it.

Ideally I would flush the entire system and start over, but I am not equipped to do so.

5. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I had a local shop charge me 40$ to just flush the system for me then suck out the cleaner. Might be a thought

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That sucks, yes, with a leak like that, no way of knowing. I would add 1 oz because of the leak.

7. VLSanders2013

Aug 15, 2013
    Well I couldn't get even an oz of oil to come out of the new compressor same goes for the old.....
    So I plan to figure they just put enough oil in as needed during assembly.

The Receiver/Dryer is labeled "none" for oil.

I didn't flush any of the lines.

So I am going to go with 7oz; assuming there is at least 3oz left in the system. There is probably more than that so I may talk myself down to 6 by the time I charge the system tomorrow.

What I am still not sure of is the r-134a being pre-mixed with oil. The can does not say that it is, unlike the other brands that are labeled 11oz r-1134a and 1 oz oil/sealer. The cans I have just say 12oz of r-134a.

If anyone else has something to add please jump in.

Thanks to all!!!
    VL

8. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Internationals are touchy too....little to much or not enough will give you problems.
    I found that out after 2 compressors,expansion valves and thermistors......still would not cool very well. 2 shops later they figured out it had too much oil.
    only a few ounces too.

9. VLSanders2013

Aug 15, 2013
    Yeah, been there. After I spent my first $650 to have International replace just the thermistors (only lasted 6 weeks) I figured it would be a smarter investment to buy a good set of A/C manifold gauges.

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sometimes you have to turn the compressor drive to get the oil to come out.

11. VLSanders2013

Aug 15, 2013
    Yeah I tried that, but it didn't seem to pump much out so I left it sit upright for a few... not even an ounce came out. so I just left it be.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.