Prostar drive tires?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by My11Inter, Sep 19, 2015.

1. My11Inter

My11Inter Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    The drive tires on my Prostar are beginning to wear out on corners of the tire. All on the drivers side axles only. Just replaced shocks and still wearing out like that real quick. Tires are only 8 months old. There Roadmaster brand. Could it be aligment issues? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Check out M D alignments Website, you might find some good info on there to help. Might check for loose bearings also.

My11Inter Thanks this.
  4. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Trailer alignment can also affect the tractor tire wear.

My11Inter Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If it's only wearing out one side, sounds like an alignment issue to me as well. A good 3 axle alignment might be worth the investment. Plus, 5th wheel grease(or lack there of) plays a part in tire wear too. A dry 5th wheel will cause your tires to have to work harder to turn the truck under the trailer.

My Prostar with these stupid super singles is wearing the inside edge on all 4 drives. I think the company put super singles on a truck with axles spec'd for duals

My11Inter Thanks this.
  6. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    The axles shouldn't have anything to do with it, other than alignment. You can put super singles on a bicycle as long as you have the proper hardware. Tire inflation is more critical on the big balloons.

My11Inter Thanks this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Three axle alignment and make sure your 5th wheel always has enough grease on it.
    Don't need the trailer steering the truck.

My11Inter Thanks this.
  8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If the center or both shoulders of the tires were wearing, I would say inflation, but with the inside of all 4 means that there is something up with the geometry. The outside of my tires are way under the edge of the trailer compared to some with super singles that are out where trucks with duals are. Could just be the wrong offset wheel, but we also have inner wheel bearing failures and regular wheel seal issues. All from a truck with standard 40k drive axles.

My11Inter Thanks this.
  9. My11Inter

My11Inter Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    Thanks all for the replies. Looks like it was just shocks the whole time. Have not noticed any new wear on tires in the past two weeks with new shocks. Also noticed big difference in the ride as well. Much smoother.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.