Prostar problems

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by odfraire92, Oct 17, 2016.

1. odfraire92

odfraire92 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I recently purchased a 2011 prostar and about 2 weeks ago it took a crap...driving down the road and all of a sudden it stalled like someone turned off the key. All my levels were good and had enough fuel (fueled up at a mom and pop truck stop the night before and parked the truck right after) next morning I only ran about 20 miles before the truck stalled...towed it to a shop and even though I told them about the fuel they connected the computer and was told it was the ECM...long story short they changed out the ecm and the crank sensor and my truck still won't run (except with started fluid) and now they are telling me my fuel lift pump does not work...any thoughts? My truck has been in the shop for 2.5 weeks and I need to get rolling again. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Pro Star...enough said....

4. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn

Hope they didnt charge you for the ECM or Crank sensor......... miss diagnosis... If its getting no fuel that could very well be the problem. However at this point I would be leary of the shop you have it at.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Low fuel pressure logs codes and cause a check engine light. Did you have a check engine light? What codes was it logging for them to think it needed an ECM?

6. odfraire92

Oct 17, 2016
    The check engine light came on and the dash started reading electric fault...they connected the computer and the cummins program wasn't reading so they used a generic program that told them it was the ecm...once they changed the ecm and it didn't start I started messing with the fuses and the cummins program started to read and thats what told them it was low pressure on the fuel pump and the code was 2215...anybody know what the correct pressures should be? They are gonna test it out right now but I want to have some info for myself. Thanks

7. odfraire92

Oct 17, 2016
    I'm not sure what the actual code for the ecm was...

8. odfraire92

Oct 17, 2016
    I'm not so sure about the shop either but don't know of any shops in the area...my original thoughts were on the fuel itself, fuel lines or fuel filters being plugged...I can hear the pump when I turn on my key.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, ECM's are pretty tough and rarely fail. When the cluster displays, "Electrical Fault" and the engine has died it the engine ECM isn't being powered and the rest of the truck knows it is missing. Like the key was shut off to only the ECM and not the rest of the truck. This is why the ECM was not detected by their computer. It doesn't mean the ecm has failed, only means it isn't turning on. This shop doesn't have the right guys with the right level of electrical experience to deal with this. What kind of shop did you tow this too? I understand most of you hate dealers, but they do know the truck the best and have access to all the right wire diagrams. I suspect the ignition or unswitched power supply to the ECM is faulty.

odfraire92 Thanks this.
  10. odfraire92

Oct 17, 2016
    Heavyd- but the check engine light came on after the truck had died when we were trying to turn it on with the started fluid and that's also when it started saying electrical fault...don't know if it's got anything to do but the abs fault also came on...all after I tried to turn it on with starter fluid

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Those lights will all turn on when the ECM is off-line, especially the ABS. The cluster is a computer, the ABS is a computer, the body controller is a computer and they are all programmed to be in communication with the engine when the key is on. So once the engine stops broadcasting information it basically goes missing to those other modules and they freak out. In addition to the engine, those other modules will also log codes for loss of communication with the engine that I bet that shop didn't know enough to look into.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.