Prototype Test Driving Question...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by AcidTankerYanker, Feb 2, 2016.

1. AcidTankerYanker

AcidTankerYanker Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    I don't know what an I-shift is but I did drive a KW once with a paddle shifter on the column...it was a CNG test vehicle for the fleet I was running with...they just wanted my opinion not any specific diagnostic data collection... Thumbs down all around...and no this is not the post, I was contacted by a recruiter...I take the commercial approach to job fishing... I have alot of hooks thrown out into many recruiting ponds and one of them caught this little gig but I don't know which line it was...

Hick Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah that's true to a point but it still falls under the same regulations for operating it.

By the way I asked this question to a friend who is a MSP DOT enforcement officer, she said - "get pulled over and lets see", she said she will ask you how long you been driving and if it is over 11 hours, OOS for you.

You guys don't understand the company don't care, you take the word of these companies and nothing to back it. Test vehicles fall under DOT regs as much as state regs because they are not private vehicle used for pleasure but commercial vehicles used for commercial purposes, here we have five major companies doing truck testing, From Fiat to GM to Ford to Roush to Eaton and every one has to follow the regulations - including HOS.

I just hate it when people get screwed because they fall for the BS. Protect your CDL.

AcidTankerYanker Thanks this.
  4. AcidTankerYanker

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    I will ask for documentation before running OOS.

5. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I gotta find it to back this up but there are exceptions for experimental vehicles. If they aren't hauling freight to or from anywhere. He's basically joyriding, if you could call it that. But if you are not hauling freight for commercial purposes there are exceptions and exemptions

6. AcidTankerYanker

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    It's just jersey barriers for weight. No deliveries no pick ups...no commercial interests...

7. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I'm sure there is some truth to this, but I'd have to read it for myself first. I would be more concerned about the LEO's that are not familiar with the exemption, and put you 'Out Of Service' regardless of any written documentation you carry. I want to have some sort of contract that says you'll be paid for the 10hrs 'OoS' AND provided an attorney present in court. Plus I'm not familiar with any way to remove the FMCSA points regardless of conviction (which can effect future employment!)

But all that aside, it does sound cool, and I'd probably do it too.
    Good Luck!

8. AcidTankerYanker

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    It'd be great to have something like that and they do have an office gal who is supposed to be "support" for the job...she emails the schedule and gives you manufacturers special events to run in the test like "open and close the hood 50 times" or whatever...I'm going to see what she can come up with. I'm meeting with the lead driver on the project today for my road test so we'll see what he has to say about it.

9. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    You will still have to abide by DOT rules even though you are "Not For Hire" and not hauling a real load. Even if you are a contractor to the job. If you run within the 100 air miles all the time you will still need to have some way to keep track of the time that you are driving and on duty. I have not heard of the experimental exemption from HOS. I actually do the job that you are talking about but probably with a different company than the one you are looking at. I've been doing this job for close to 10 years now. If you get pulled into a weigh station they still go through the same things as if you were a for hire company. The only real difference is in CO they say that if you are testing you do not need a permit to travel through there but I still buy the permits because another officer may not see it the same way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. AcidTankerYanker

Nov 7, 2015
    Longmont, CO
    OK, so the permit book has no registration just a business license and insurance, I can keep a log but its not required. We are within the air mile limit and if the LEO's give me a hassle there is a 24hr number to call...I'm still gonna throw a log book in the clipboard just for sh*ts.

11. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    Run the weekly and save yourself the future headaches.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.