PTL is a nightmare

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Pakrat66, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I believe the success rate is in the teens to mid 20s. I'm sure some companies have 0-5%

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is not 100% true. I have a friend who is doing an l/p with his company, is home every weekend, and is doing quite well.

That being said, while it is POSSIBLE to be successful in a lease, the majority of drivers aren't, and the companies they're leasing from aren't set up for a driver to be successful.

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    This like the 4th or 5th thread I've seen about horror stories about PTL and their fleece purchase program in about 3 MONTHS (I'm actually starting to lose count). I drove by their headquarters in Murray, KY last month doing a Walmart run to the store down the street. Half of their trailers look like they should be scrapped.

5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    $23 in 3 weeks?

What is your fuel management strategy? Is it possible the rest of your money is sitting in your fuel tanks after each trip?

6. Voodoo Pyg

Voodoo Pyg Oink! Oink!

Jan 25, 2015
    Texas
    I am in NO way a saint. Nor did I even begin to survive the OTR life for the 1 year I was supposed to. But I can say you got scammed. I beg to ask, how long were you employed when they spit the "lease purchase" jazz? When I was with Stevens last year, they did it twice. Once in OR 1. and again in OR 2. Now I didn't even get the chance to try. I told them I would like to go out and get to know the ins and outs before I took that plunge and sank too deep. Now mind you, many of them that I knew were successful in the Alliance Lease Program. But it really isn't for everyone. I'll tell you too that the numbers look good on paper. And if you want a real home life, forget it. I talked to a guy who worked at Stevens and was on time off for his child's birthday. Stevens sent a wrecker to his home to retrieve the truck, saying he was behind on payments. I'll leave this by saying newbies should go into the business and learn it for at least two to three years before leasing at all. This way you know where your money is going and how far to put back in a hard time. Just my two cents.

Lucy in the Sky Thanks this.
  7. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    Buddy I feel for you. These lease programs do nothing but save these carriers S.S. Taxes, and ins.costs. Your still an employee I don't care what they say.

Western flyer and Voodoo Pyg Thank this.
  8. Nairbfs79

Nairbfs79 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Kevin Rutherford researched this on his Sirius XM show and concluded 85 percent of lease purchases fail. 15 percent success rate? How abysmal.

9. Nairbfs79

Nairbfs79 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Or you get like 2 payments away from finally owning the truck, and they find a reason to cancel your lease. Or you finally do make the last payment and the title is nowhere to be found

10. vikedog

vikedog Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Valdosta, Ga
    If you lost everything in two months, then you were already in poverty and they just finished you off. Lease purchase doesn't solve bad money management issues.

11. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Lp deals always end up with the same stories period !!!
    ..... And they always seem to conveniently finish the driver off in one way or another in most cases ..... Lp is a big mistake for any driver to get sucked into

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.