Quality Drivers School - Celadon Trucking - Indianapolis, IN - 2013

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DocComm2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. simon sez

simon sez Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2011
    SEA, WA
    Thanks much for the update, Doc! Glad to hear what's up: I truly had been starting to wonder. You'll make it through the next two weeks and do great on your testing, I am willing to bet. You seem to be a pretty level headed dude, and intelligent----the smart thing for them to be would be to keep you happy!
    We'll be waiting to hear the results of your testing, but post away if you get the chance before that!
    :biggrin_25525:Routing for you, Doc!
    simon

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WillGlen

WillGlen Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Since you live in Fort Wayne, IN., I would think it very likely that you could get on with Rock Leasing, a subsidiary of Celadon Trucking Company and then run a dedicated route. I went through the school as well back in March of this year and I live in Southern Indiana. I run a dedicated route for GM through Rock Leasing and get 2600 miles a week, every week, with a weekly stop pay of $90 per week. Next time you talk to Jonathan, ask him about getting a dedicated route through Rock Leasing. Tell him you live in Fort Wayne, IN and I think it will be almost guaranteed that you can get a dedicated route. They are trying to hire local drivers. You could probably even get a local run and be home every night. It is very possible. You will be able to park your truck at the Plum Tree, IN terminal and go home every weekend if you want, unless you want a local run and then you could be home every night. Something to think about.

I like the dedicated route because it gets me consistent miles, home time, and I've become very familiar with the docks at the shippers and receivers I go to..

If you have any questions, just PM and I will get back with you as soon as I can. I don't post much, just recently joined the forum. I've been running for them ever since I graduated. Celadon is buying up a lot of companies. Rock Leasing happens to be one of the ones they bought.

4. DocComm2

DocComm2 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well kids - I have some bad news. Quality Driver's and Celadon have changed the program for students. I don't have all the details as of yet, but what I have been told is, you have to drive 1 year as a team with another student. Then you have to drive 1 more year either team or solo. The mileage number I was told is 240,000 miles. I hope to be able to get this all confirmed and posted in the coming week.

It is unfortunate that they have changed to a Swift training type program, but since they hired a former Swift exec, it isn't totally unexpected. It is a good program for learning, but the repayment plan is a bit much for me. Thank God I was under the old plan - because if it had been what they are doing now I wouldn't be here. And, every classmate I have talked to about it says the same thing.

And, for an update, I am in my final week of training. I get to test Friday and graduate. Then, on to my own truck. We have a run to Texas and then one coming back this way. Once we get those done I am ready to move to solo. It has been a somewhat bumpy ride and I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER team. After trying to sleep in the truck while it is going down the road - it isn't going to happen. I told my trainer this and we are working out a lighter schedule this week so I don't have to push so hard. I drove 3 nights in a row with only a few hours sleep each day. We shut down Friday at the Indy terminal. He found a problem with the truck and put it in the shop today. We got it back but the only long run we could get was down to Texas on Monday. So, I grabbed a hotel voucher and said, "See you Monday morning!"

Stay tuned and I will let you know what fun I have as I transition to solo status. Peace.

5. DocComm2

DocComm2 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN

That's what I am wanting to do. Once I graduate Friday I plan on talking to whoever I need to so I can get on that run. It will be a nice run that gives me a chance to develop skills through the winter. Appreciate the info and I will talk to Jonathan as soon as I test out Friday. Peace.

6. Roamer

Roamer Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Carthage, TX
    Ley us know how things turn out. I'm grandfathered under the "old plan" and I will be done at 120,000 miles or team up and get it done sooner. I've been from Laredo to Michigan to Mississippi and several stops in between inthe past four weeks. A couple more weeks to go and hopefully a couple of days with momma in East Texas before hitting the road again.

7. simon sez

simon sez Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2011
    SEA, WA
    However it turns out, good luck to you!
    :smt033

8. DocComm2

DocComm2 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well - after a whole bunch of truck and trailer drama - I was allowed to graduate on Tuesday, September 24, 2013. I am going to getting on the hound and heading to Laredo to get a truck. Not looking forward to that ride, but that is where they are sending me. So, I will try and post soon to let you all know how things are going as soon as I can. Stay tuned. Peace.

Drachen Thanks this.
  9. Truckie83

Truckie83 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Perryman, MD
    So how's it going any updates?

10. Braylean

Braylean Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I am here going into my third week and I am a first week student of the new program. The way it reads ifs after training you have to team for 240'000 miles and the contract is fulfilled. This ads up to about one year of driving, give or take. The truck earns .36cpm split between drivers with a possible .03cpm bonus each month.

The current problem is their range training, they have five backing lanes for around seventy five students with more rolling in every week so people get in a truck to practice about once or twice a day if your lucky and you get one shot to practice each maneuver for each turn so as you can imagine, some people have been on that range for one to two months or more. If you come here with experience then you can get through school in maybe a month, but if you don't have experience you are going to be sitting out in the weather all day five days a week for a month or more. Not mad enough to really be insulting to the school yet, just want to give everyone a heads up.

Truckie83 Thanks this.
  11. Braylean

Braylean Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Well it would seem they have changed thagain. The six weeks with the trainer is now supposedly mandatory, that means no matter how much experience you have or how good a driver you are, if you have to do any training including refresher training, you will now spend 4 weeks driving solo with a trainer and 2 weeks teaming with a trainer at least. they did raise the training pay to $58 a day and $7.25 an hour for any on duty time over eight hours per day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.