Question about a trailer I just purchased

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by redoctober83, May 4, 2016.

1. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Yes I am very well aware of that, thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    When I bought my trailer in Canada, Idaho issued me a temporary tag to bring it home with.

Getting the title was another story. That took almost 5 months.

4. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Yeah, the only issue I have with temp tags is I can't pull a load with the trailer. I can get it home with temp tags no issue, it just means it'll be empty the entire 2200 miles. Not something I want to spend fuel on dragging an empty trailer. But the washington state licensing office will let me overnight all the paperwork to them and they'll overnight the plates back to me. Just have to have a place to overnight everything to is all.

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Overnight it to the dealer you bought it from, or if you're staying in a motel, have them send it there.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  6. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    then why didn't you buy it locally if you didn't want to haul it empty 2200 miles?did you buy it from a trailer dealer?a national one?if so pick one up at your local dealer

7. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Because there were none locally. There was one dealer in Oregon but they wanted almost $5,000 more above the market value of any of the trailers they sold. I was looking for some specific items on the trailer. I didn't know before hand that I couldn't use it once I purchased it. This is my first time buying a trailer. My local dmv office will accept the overnighted documents and overnight me title, registration and plates back the next day. Had I known this before hand I would have stayed in the Washington area running loads so I could go pick the trailer up with plates in hand.

I'll know this for next time I buy a trailer or any other piece of equipment for my company.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Why can't you haul a load with temp trailer tags? The TRACTOR is the one with the registered weight for the combination, not the trailer...so that shouldn't be an issue. The TRACTOR is the vehicle that needs operating authority, insurance, and all of that other stuff, not the trailer...so again that shouldn't be an issue.

When I bought my tractor in Colorado, I received a temp Colorado tag from the dealer. I left that on until the day it expired before finally getting around to putting the Illinois Apportioned tag I got through the company to which I had leased my truck. No issues running the temp tag on the tractor...even pulling freight...so why would it be a problem on a trailer?

9. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    No clue, everyone including the state of illinois and the dealer day I can't haul on temp tags. It's just a drive away only option.

10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I've used the agency @GO BOT TRUCK linked. With express service, plates were in hand in two days. You might want to reconsider beating your head against your local government wall, and do something that will get the job done and probably save you a few bucks too. I and several others I know have been running Maine trailer plates with no consequences.

11. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    That's good to know. I do appreciate the advice. The cost for washington state is less then $100 for a permenant plate. That's part of why I am trying to keep it in my home state. But I will look into that service again. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.