Question about dispatched miles vs actual miles

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Joeziah, Oct 4, 2016.

1. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    What does it matter if I am getting DECENT paychecks?-)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Yea companies bone drivers, especially company drivers, all the time like that. They figure zip code to zip code, and then the shortest route. Well the shortest route mile was might add substantial time to your trip, not to mention wear & tear on you and the truck.
    Lease op's get less boned, but everyone gives up some free miles just about that gets paid by the mile. O/O or lease op that gets paid percentage, the company or broker doesn't care how you get there, as long as you are on time.
    Swift has a class action suit for shorting drivers for I think $400 million. It was brought by one driver, but now the appeals court has said they are going to pay all the drivers they boned over the years, interesting to see how it turns out.
    CRST took it in the ### a few years ago, for not nearly as much, like $8 million.
    All the mega companies bone the drivers, especially the new drivers. When you get a year in, you can get to a much better company, unless you know someone.
    I don't know if its that way in flat bedding, but very common in van and God love you if your doing reefer.

Here is your song if you go to work for PRIME-

x1Heavy and diesel drinker Thank this.
  4. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Sarcasm aside,I make decent money with less than 2 years of experience.No benefits though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Flatbedding for me was local, if you consider a territory 250 to 300 miles radius from Frederick local, sometimes three loads a day tarped all delivered within the 10 hours driving and I think 15 hours onduty total in any combination. Practical wages for me worked out to a percentage thus around 600 net after taxes and if I was a good boy was paid upwards of 70 more for the weekly bonus speed etc. So 670 net, call it 2600 plus net per month. Really good months with long hours yard jockeying a dual stick mack to and from Tamko potentially nets 3000, when you throw in tarping for other drivers their loads of about 10 per day in the yard. I was given an oppertunity to settle into yard jockeying for the rest of my productive life but like a stupid idiot I turned it down, again wanderlust for the entire USA kicked in... I don't regret it.

Cement tanker work, dry bulk was literally by load. So... if you delivered 5 loads to Arlington Pentagon Silos ready mix from Lime Kiln loading in Maryland into VA along 270 and across the American Legion Bridge at about 67 dollars paid per load delivered, you are 335 dollars gross for the day minus approximately 45% for all deductions at that time in the 80's Speeding tickets for big trucks was 45 to start then, so if you knocked it down below the arrest threshold (>95)towards 70 you stood to be written for 45 dollars and that's that for that ticket. Plus 1 point for 15 or less. 7 points you put away the Maryland A license and pulled out the Virginia A license. Of course Uncle Sam stopped that potentially 48 A license foolishness with CDL laws in '94 So call it 1550 plus gross each week.

Gasoline work out of Exxon in either Baltimore Curtis Bay or Boston Street works out to nearly 2000 dollars cash each week in certain customers. But you run like hell and when tired, drink until feeling good and run some more.

Regional Reefer paid 25% you feasted or starved along with the boss and his minion... er.. Office staff and mechanic. Sometimes that box of steak you dragged home was paid in kind equal to cash money. As luck would have it it's the North East for lucky ol me. I was so young and empty of any kind of stain from other truckers telling stories about the NE in them days. I did find 1.30 fuel in the land of NO.. er NJ when fuel was 1.99 that week. Unfortuantely two miles of big trucks waiting for him to fill his 6000 gallon tank after midnight so he can readjust pricing...

OTR? .20 a mile. The best got .30 The rest like trainers were paid salary so much that OTR did not matter as much as spending 6 hours backing into a produce dock does. Trainees got 180 net a week. Cash money paid before your trainer collected you and discarded excess baggage.

Yep those were the days.

6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Can't we all just agree that if you aren't paid off the hub, you're 'driving for free'?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.