Question about finding quality people

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Billerd, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Billerd

Billerd Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Colorado
    This is probably a question that many have asked, but I will ask it again to try and gain a little more knowledge and hopefully get some suggestions on how to remedy the issue.

We are a small company (Quality Transport LLC- 4 trucks - Clorado based) We run stepdeck freight all over the 48 and have two trucks dedicated to running sand in Colorado. I started driving myself for the first several months before I hired our first driver. We decided early on that we wanted to be a different kind of company, one that cared about their drivers. Because I was driving OTR I knew what it was like to be on the road and all the issues that have to be dealt with. Driver comfort is a big deal, so we bought brand new Peterbilt 579's, outfitted them with an APU, Sat Radio, CB's, Fridge, Microwave, Printer, Qualcomm etc. thinking that that would add to driver comfort. Driver pay was important as well. We pay well, our trucks are running strong OTR with about 3300 miles per week (sometimes less).

Here's the issues:

• Drivers don't seem to care about taking care of the equipment. The trucks come back to the yard full of trash, dirt everywhere, smells like a sewer etc. These are brand new trucks! The drivers we hired seemed to be clean cut individuals but the trucks come back a mess!
    • Drivers don't seem to want to run the necessary miles. We have the miles to run, but every time I turn around there is some reason why they cant make it to the destination on time. Stopping for hours during the day to take a nap, sick all the time etc.
    • Drivers who lie without batting an eye. Right to my face or over the phone. Always an excuse for why something happened or didn't happen. We are all adults right? Cant we tell the truth?
    • Drivers who want the OTR job but want to be home every few days. Are there not drivers out there that can still stay out for a few weeks at a time?
    • Drivers who don't catch issues on pre and post trip inspections. These inspections, I would suspect don't get done like they are supposed to. If the truck was your way of making money, why wouldn't you want to make sure it was being properly cared for on a daily basis. You cant make money when it is broke down, and most little things can be caught before a breakdown occurs.

These are just a few of the more prominent issues. I would be interested to hear what attracts you to a company? What amenities would you like to have? What sets you apart from other drivers you have seen in the industry. Any suggestions on finding quality people to work with?

Thanks for your time!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I dunno... my wraps ugly from one 6 year old incident and I have an extremely hard time finding a good steady job in the industry. Crazy part is I've learned that I can run and I like to run hard. But no one will seem to take my word which is understandable with insurance issues and all. My point is, when I have to walk away from a potential long term job because of some dumb #### I did when I was young it's really a lose/lose for everyone. I miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime, employers miss out on a great dependable hard-working employee without even giving it a chance. Just my 2 cents

Billerd Thanks this.
  4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    What is paying well?

5. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I cannot help you in answer to your question regarding amenities and driver comfort, because I think you have it covered pretty well. This coming from a guy with a local gig, home every night and has never been OTR.

Considering your list of issues; it all comes down to the driver being LAZY IMO. Every one of those issues require effort on the part of the driver to get things done and it is for their own benefit, as well as your company to see that they are done. You may want to review your interview process and the questions you ask during that process, along having a list of acceptable and/or unacceptable answers.

Do these drivers treat their own vehicles as they do your rigs? Have/do you ask/ed them how they would feel if their vehicles were treated with such disrespect?

Pride, respect, accountability, responsibility, are attributes that once were common in America, but now, sadly, seem to be rare. Take those four attributes and form some questions for your interviews that will extract answers to reveal how the prospective employee may behave, and I think, perhaps, you may be more successful next time you hire an individual.

Good luck to you!

tsavory and Badmon Thank this.
  6. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    For me being gone from home for weeks at a time is un called for. There are a lot of company's where they run you for 7 days out then home for a couple.

7. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Do you have an extensive interview process when looking for drivers?

Do you perform background checks and try to communicate with the potential candidate's previous employers?

Is your "onboarding process" thorough enough to outline the job and it's benefits/rewards/downsides/etc?

Do you conduct road tests that include a pre trip inspection?

I think those are all questions you should be asking yourself. If you can answer "yes" to all of them, I would venture to say that your pay/benefits aren't up to industry par. I'd also recommend printing up a company/driver handbook that outlines everything you expect from your employees. Being a little player in a big market can be difficult, for sure. Best of luck to you.

brian991219 and T_Bone Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Unfortunately that's the caliber of people, not just drivers, out there today. Have you considered doing like a monthly bonus system? If a guy doesn't miss any days, get his trips in on time, no tickets/infractions and keep his truck relatively clean inside and out, he gets a little extra at the end of the month. Where I work, we are required to perform a more in-depth truck inspection with our service manager each month and guys really catch it if the trucks aren't being looked after. I do a good pre-trip and keep my truck pretty clean so I've never had a problem.

T_Bone and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Are you a 1099 outfit?

10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    The only item's I see missing so far are good seat covers, seats get a lot of abuse.. the would be a mattress cover of some sort.. subscribed

Edit:
    I suppose a driver could furnish their own

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  11. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I have a few questions...

Do you make your expectations crystal clear when you interview?

Do you consistently hold drivers accountable? If so, how?

Do you consider yourself "forced dispatch"?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.