Question about hooking power from goose to truck

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I have a question hope some of you may have the answer to. I have been looking at the new Ram 3500 dually's and hoping to buy one in the next couple weeks. Now most newer trucks have the 7 and 4 pin connectors near the bumper by the license plate but on some trucks I have seen these connectors in the bed of the truck. If I was to buy a truck without the power connector in the bed is it that big of a deal to run the power over the tailgate to the pin connector by the bumper?

When speaking to the trailer hitch installer he said they could put one in along with the goose neck hitch for around $850 I believe he uses and recommends B&W hitches says they are top 3 choices of customers, and to go with the 30,000 pound rating. Anyone here using B&W currently ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    When they did mine they just made the power cord long enough to go over the tailgate to the bumper pull plug. It works fine, until you get in a tight jackknife. I have one of the in the box plugs, just haven't installed it. I would say it would be nicer to have it all in the bed.

I run Reese here, no complaints.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  4. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    The dealer/installer actually is a Reese dealer but I guess he is pushing B&W he said draw tite has had some issues in the past as well. I agree with you I think it's easier if everything was in the box as well. I don't know if you have done this or know of anyone that has but I did this on my current trailer with the break-away line. Because it's currently a bumper pull the break-away line was a sort of wire maybe like a tether type cord and would get frayed if it touched the ground so I broke off the cable left the end of the cable that looped through the pin going into the break away and used a light chain with two carabeaners on the ends. It wont have an oppertunity to break like the one I had did and render it useless not to mention a pretty hefty fine if I was ever inspected. Should I worry about that with a goose-neck in the bed or would leaving the cable the way it is ? Just curious

5. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    The break away tether is on the trailer neck on mine, up by where the chains are for the gooseneck. I'm not sure if you went to a kingping if you still need a breakaway.

I don't understand why you're worried about your old bumper pull. If you're worried about it, fix it properly. Your new trailer should be set up properly.

6. 86mechanic

86mechanic Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Northridge, CA
    You can go to a RV place. They should have kits to relocate the plug into the bed

7. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    What I use instead of mounting one in the bed:
    81bRQO79Y3L._SL1500_.jpg https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PLANUC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I always had the trailer on, I would probably mount one in the bed, but this was cheaper and easier, and I don't have to worry about breaking the socket when I am hauling in-bed loads.
    I just hook a bungee cord to the extension cable right behind the socket to keep it stable over the tailgate.

I also like to have this, because it makes testing and repairing any trailer lights and such easy. I can just pull up next to the trailer instead of having to try to get in hook up position. Especially handy with bumper pull trailers.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.