Question about meds ands trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by McKenna, May 2, 2016.

1. McKenna

McKenna Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    So I'm on lorazapam for insomnia been on it for 7 years same dosage it's the only thing that makes me sleep tried everything it's part of my magic combo would buying my own truck make it easier to get hired somewhere? Or will that not make a difference?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    First off Lorazapam is given for anxiety disorders and not sleep problems. Any doctor that would prescribe this medication to someone that is driving a truck should take a hard look at themselves. Or at least look at the rules and regulations. If you do find a doctor that does write a prescription then good luck getting past your company. You should look for something less sedative and more mainstream. You'd be much better off for it.

If you do have it and use it without anyone knowing that you are using it I'd be real careful. If something were to happen and you test positive or they find that you were using it without their knowledge they will put you on your own and all the responsibility will fall on you. It's not really worth it. Look around you can find something else and get the company approval and be just as effective. Good Luck.

4. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    It's a combo of lorazapam and gabapentin it's the only thing that makes me sleep through the night and get good sleep I have passed the dot physical and have a propper letter from my dr with an eeg to prove that I take the gabapentin for sleep not seizures. I've tried almost every otc and almost every sleeping pill been on this combo for years doesn't affect me at all just makes me get a good night sleep

5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    oops sorry, meant to add you Dr. has to write a letter stating you can drive a CMV and that will put the Dr. on the wire for responsibility. I really doubt the Dr. will do that and just stating it isn't for seizures will not work. Just call and ask some recruiters.

6. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    Have the letter says will not affect her ability to operate a cmv for both meds

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Now just be sure you ask before you go to a company if that will be a problem.

8. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    Well im trying to a pre hire so I can go to school to my cdl...but my question is would it be easier to find a job with these meds if I owned my own truck?

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    The freight is slow everywhere. If you buy or even lease a truck without a lot of experience you will be bankrupt soon. This business is one that will eat you quick.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Post in the experienced drivers thread.

McKenna Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.