Question about Prime trucks

Discussion in 'Prime' started by RStewart, Aug 23, 2016.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    The more fuel burned, the more carbon going through the emissions system (egr, dpf). So lifetime mpg is a decent indicator of how hard the emissions systems have had to work

darthanubis and RStewart Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    No problems at all with this truck to date, at least till last week. Blown oil pan gasket. Otherwise, nothing. Been very lucky with this one.

No emmisions after treatment probs to date, either. Most important factor is likely not idling. Idling sure bet for big headaches with after treatment sytems.

Running an O/O truck for someone else, I keep up with all recomended maintance myself at required intervals & diligently inspect daily.

Maintenance of company trucks is very good. Lease trucks should be same, as I'm sure they stay on top leasers to protect their interest in those trucks.

Even with brand new trucks, always luck of the draw, as far as problems. We bought two brand new '15 Cascadias off fleet lot, and have had no issues with either. Great runners. However, heard some of those before & after ours were not nearly as lucky. Difference in drivers & their care of vehicle?.......Maybe, or maybe not. Who knows........

darthanubis and RStewart Thank this.
  4. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Very well could be. The main thing is paying attention to the signs that issues are developing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    darthanubis and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    One thing that bugs me is grease. They only get greased every 50k when the pm is done. I've ended up at a TA for a PM a few times and had to remind them to grease it. :rolleyes: I could see a possibility of a truck going 100k before grease, certainly not all , but a chance. Probably a risk from most fleet trucks.

Might be good to checkout the upper/lower kingpins.

6. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    They have 50k mile intervals?

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes. Fuel filters 25k, PM 50k, air filter 100k, def pump filter 150k, and I forget the air dryer cartridge.

8. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Dang. That's a little long on the oil for me. I do mine at 30k.

9. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Not so much on the newer models.

Manufacturers recommend intervals. We are also running semi synthetic.

Did my older trucks at 20,000.

RStewart Thanks this.
  10. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I use the semi synthetic also. I've just heard that going that long ruins the rod & main bearings by 600-650k.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  11. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Next time you have your prime truck greased, watch them. Most of the truck is grease less, that's why it goes so long. There's only like 5 or 6 grease spots.
    Yep, that looks right.
    Schneider makes you do them like that fir the first 100k and then after if you look at your maintenance interval it jumps to 50 or 60k fir pm's. Go back and look at the lease contract I think my friend said it's listed in there. Most sfi guys hear the 30k number when they get the new truck and don't look at the rest of the maintenance schedule in the lease.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.