Question about switching a C15 accert to a 6Nz

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mad dog logistics llc, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Mad dog logistics llc

Mad dog logistics llc Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2014
    After 3600 in the hole and counting because the problem, a wiring issue is not fixed Im looking for an older truck with out all the emissions and electronics. Its my under standing that you can not buy a 2010 Pete with a Cummins and throw a 3406 cat with no Emissions in there because the Pete came with the emissions on there (am I correct) But could I buy a 2008 Pete that came with a Accert that has no EGR valve and put and older motor in there? Or do I just buy another 2003 and spend the money fixing it? Im really tired of paying150 bucks to hook up to a computer to tell me I have a coolant leak with there is a puddle under the truck.

If Im posting this in the wrong forum let me know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowhunter67

bowhunter67 Light Load Member

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    An 08 pete with an acert still has an egr on it from factory unless it was deleted you would need an 03 to not have one on it.And I think an 08 still has the dpf and the burner on it also, you need a 07 or earlier for just a egr.

4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Go 1999 or older. Not only are they better trucks/motors (and mostly mechanical, so if you are mechanically-minded, you can do a lot of work yourself) but you won't have to run elogs when they become mandated.

I've run both MBN and 6NZ C-15's and can tell you they are amazing engines. But I hear wonderful things about the 3406E and B.

bowhunter67 Thanks this.
  5. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    Legally you can only replace with an engine that is the same model year or newer than the truck it's going in. Now with that said, if the states you run in don't do testing you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you keep your mouth shut and have a mechanic that will work on "non standard" stuff. If it was me I'd just get a pre '00 truck to avoid all the new laws coming down the road.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    bowhunter67 Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have an ACERT in my truck. No EGR.

C15 ACERT motor uses what called the Miller Cycle to do pretty much the same thing.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...intake-valve-actuator-defined-kind-of.170500/

Hurst

bowhunter67 Thanks this.
  7. jjlit

jjlit Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Need help! Have a 2007 Kenworth T600 that had C-15 accert engine. We put a 2003 C-15 6NZ engine in it. Everything is working fine besides the gauges on the dash that have anything to do with the engine like RPMs, oil pressure, ect... When we hook up the computer, all the gauges work on the computer but not on the dashboard. Anyone know what could it be?

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I seem to recall that the 2007's used a multiplex system rather than mechanical gauges. The ECM will still read the info like you say it does, it just can't communicate that info to the gauges on the CAN network. Not sure the best way to remedy that. Maybe have to replace the engine related gauges and wire them directly to the respective output pins for those parameters on the ECM? Or run install seperate temp/oil pressure sensors and run them to mechanical gauges?

I'm sure there are people on here that know much more about this than myself.

9. Kswapp13

Kswapp13 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2022
    Did you ever find out what do about this? I’ve ran into the same issue no gauges or communication on truck side, engine runs but no gauges, newer flash? I switched from sdp acert to 6nz

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.