Question for an experienced prime trainer

Discussion in 'Prime' started by justin0369, Aug 8, 2015.

1. justin0369

justin0369 Bobtail Member

May 4, 2015
    I am currently in the TNT portion of training and have been since June 3rd with no issues at all. I just got done driving my trainers truck solo for the last 7 days and had no issues I know the basics of this job and I feel I am ready to upgrade but my instructor wants me to run on his truck for 2 more weeks to correct anything that went wrong during my solo time. My issue is nothing went wrong and he hasn't taught me anything since my 3rd week with him do I complain to dispatch and request to be allowed to upgrade? I took the upgrade test and passed it and only have the computer classes to do now??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    How many miles have you ran during TNT?? If you have hit the limit then tell him and the FM you want to upgrade. If there are no issue's then they won't have a leg to stand on if you have to take it to Steve Larson. Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough and Either you guys pay me .43 per mile or I am getting off into my own truck.

4. justin0369

May 4, 2015
    I was at 40000 before the end of July I have no idea what I am at now I would imagine I'm getting close to 60000

5. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Then I would tell them you want to upgrade to your own truck so you can make some money.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  6. reuter19

reuter19 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    please tell me that you drove your trainers truck and made .43 a mile if not that is BS and need to be brought up to management.

Highway101 Thanks this.
  7. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Hello Justin, welcome to the T.T.R. prime forum. From reading your post it seems as though you maybe and may have been ready to upgrade for some time. I do not have much knowledge of the specifics of your situation outside of few things you have posted here so will you please answer some questions. During your 7 days of solo driving was your trainer on the truck with you? There are times that trainers will keep trainees on the truck longer. However in those cases there are specific reasons as to why maybe they are more on working safe driving habits, shifting, or backing. In those cases that a trainee is kept in tnt longer it is communicated to trainee specifically why they are being kept in tnt, and exactly what they need they to do to move on to the next stage. Has your trainer discussed any specific reasons of why your training has ran long? I'm sorry that you feel you are in a position that you feel a need to reach out for help on the forum, and would be glad to help you anyway I can.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  8. justin0369

May 4, 2015
    No I dropped him off for his home time and received one call from him asking how I was doing and didn't hear from him the rest of the time.

9. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Boy I hope I've just been had by someone with three posts whose just trying to stir things up. Because I'd much rather that be the case than this guys story be true. Justin if the trainer has enough confidence in you to solo in their truck but not enough that you can upgrade to an A seat. Then you are being taken advantage of and its costing you money as trainees make less than A seat solo's. This is the number for the main switchboard in Springfield (800) 421-4552. I recommend that you call Monday and ask to be transferred to Steve Larson's desk. Tell him everything you've told us. From there you can expect to be routed back though Springfield for your upgrade. Good luck I'm sorry this is happening to you. Will you do us a favor and let us know how it turned out?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    darthanubis Thanks this.
  10. justin0369

May 4, 2015
    No it's all true I talked to my trainer again about it today and he is going to take me back to upgrade on the 16th of August

11. michaelg

michaelg Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Trainers that take advantage of other people just starting out in trucking really suck. If everything you said is true AND you're approaching 60k miles with no issues like I sincerely hope you have a talk with Steve Larson and explain everything to him.

My trainer may of been a total A-hole cranky as a bear every morning but he never once took advantage of me when I went thru TNT a couple yrs back. In fact I was off the truck before the 40k because it was obvious I was ready. Sounds like your guy is just using you to line his own pockets.

I guess if nothing else you can chalk it up to practice for when you get on your own. Instead of the trainer trying to take you for a ride it'll be those shady characters hanging around the fuel island trying to sell you a gold rolex for $20 or some dingbat with 20 tablet computers he got from a friend that'll sell one to you for only $20 bucks.

Our world is filled with scam artists. Welcome to trucking!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.