Question for asphalt oil tanker drivers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Air Cooled, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    New trailer. Discharge in the rear. How would one go about keeping hot oil off of the rear? Wanna keep it nice

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. P. Adam

P. Adam Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I worked at asphalt plants for 26 yrs, I've unloaded a tanker or two in my day! IMHO it's all about hose placement during the disconnect procedure. I would let hose sit beneath the valve until all Ac-20 or which oil your carrying, (hate the polymer oils) would completely drain. Keep hose gaskets with you, plant may not have any on the shelf, then you'll have the mess your trying to avoid, be safe..

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I'd go with the experience . I'm sure he's done it every way it can be done.

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  5. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Any advice on not getting burned and the best way to top load? These guys use a wire hook but I find it hard to see and am somewhat timid getting that close to the flow

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Always wear long sleeves no matter how hot it is out (heavy cotton is best)

Shut off the flow into the trailer to look in at first......after a while you can sneak a look in while it's running and it won't phase you at all......

I do it by time(once you are used to the rack) and then sneak a look as I'm almost loaded ....

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Most outfits paint a black ring around the middle to help hide the splatter from top loading....

image.jpg

Note that the back by the valve is black too...

But yours isn't so on the back just keep up your gloves clean. And wipe off the snots and every thing with diesel . Or ether works well too..

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  8. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Thank you! I have seen some with the black ring, I like that. I'm getting the hang of it. It's a lot simpler than gas hauling. Three loading racks and three delivery points. Usually one load a day 450-550 miles. Hardest part is getting used to driving at night and adjusting my sleep pattern.

9. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Had my first splatter. New trailer- the dome lid bolt wasn't tight enough and oil sloshed out. The top loading area is covered about a quarter inch thick. An old timer told me to take a torch to a putty knife and peel it off. It also got the sides of the tank some. The top will be a day's work that I'll have to do when I get a day off. Worked 16 hours today and 14-15 the other days of the week so it may be a while. The sides I could possibly do on a Friday. We have a rolling set of stairs and I could clean it off safely. What's the best chemical to use? I figured I'd use a scrub pad and rags

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Having product in the crows nest is part of the deal..... Kinda like having some on the tailgate of your dump body if your hauling mix.

I just keep the drains clear so when it rains it will drain. The rest can stay.....you'll go nuts trying to keep it spotless .

On a cold day , with the trailer cold use a hammer ( be careful ) and use ether and a rag...

On a hot day use a putty knife ( put the scrapings back in the tank) and then use ether.....

11. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Thank you! Should I heat up the knife to get it off before wiping it clean?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.