Question for Experienced Car Haulers From Exp. OTR Team

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by hiwaysteward, May 19, 2016.

1. hiwaysteward

hiwaysteward Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    America... :)
    Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have been team driving for 2 1/2 years OTR, dry van. We've met couples at fuel stops who talked to us about getting into car hauling... briefly... you know those short chats that happen at the pumps! :p

Now that we've had a couple of years experience with dry van we're interested in looking into this and my question is: "Where is the best place to start?"

We don't have experience hauling cars or with flat-bed. Are there companies that will train -- and if so -- how would that work? Would we have to split up and ride with a trainer? (ugh)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

As a SIDETONE: we are both healthy, slim, athletic, take the time to exercise daily and cook meals on our truck. We're interested in finding something a company that doesn't run you to death. We currently - easily - do 5,000 a week with dry van and would like to stay in that range or just under.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
    Andrea

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
  4. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Team in car hauling is great as far as you limit time in pulling out cars from auctions (Once found one car, each of you drive each other from car to trailer) also car damage less likely when there are two persons.

If you own truck, sell dry van and buy Sun Valley 8 car trailer. If you want to get complete car hauling truck then 9 car truck is an option but it is very expensive. For start regular tractor and 8 car sun valley is the best choice I think

5. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Own authority or leased on?

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I don't know if they would train anyone but I would check into reliable carriers from Canton Michigan.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  7. Mr&MrsPete

Mr&MrsPete Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    Team is great for OTR car hauling but I don't recommend a stinger set up. Flat tops are hard to live in especially as a team. The sun valley 8 car is an excellent choice. The Cottrell 5309 has nine car capacity but will get an inexpierenced person in trouble. If you go to one of the major companies to lease on and train they will spilt you up. Reliable will not train. Those are very high end vehicles. I would look on Craigslist for someone looking for o/o's

tech10171968 Thanks this.
  8. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    ^^^TRUTH.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.