Question for Washington state cdl holders

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Commuter69, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I know nobody from Washington state to ask, so here goes....

A couple of weeks back, I was in a collision in Washington state, to make a long story short(I posted details of the incident within hours of it), the officers investigating the incident deemed it not preventable by any real action on my part and not my fault. Pending receipt of the report by my company, they are going to agree.

The other driver, however, was taken for medical attention as a precaution(I think she may have been pregnant), but nobody has asked me to submit to drug screening(like I am worried about the results). She was also unlicensed.

Another driver told me if she is deemed responsible and financially responsible for damages, since she was unlicensed(I don't know if her license was expired, suspended, revoked, or simply did not exist), she could face a penalty of up to a 3 year suspension, or until damage costs were paid?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Without additional information on the driver, it's hard to say, but if she was unlicensed (for whatever reason), then there's a chance she was also uninsured.The combination of penalties could add up.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.015
    http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/insurance.html

I'm not sure about the 3 year suspension, but repayment of costs seems legit.

4. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    If she was unlicensed and uninsured, good luck.

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    If you come out ok with no record entry then why not just leave her alone? That would make you the hero.

6. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    It would also in courage poor, selfish, reckless and illegal behavior.

Camelclutch and shanman Thank this.
  7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Well if she was caught red handed unlicensed and uninsured then your company's insurance will be eating it but she will be in a fair amount of legal hot water with the state. Your insurance company could sue her personally but if they suspect she has nothing they wont waste their time.

JReding Thanks this.
  8. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Somehow she had insurance (smdh)... I am not sure, but the car may not have been hers either; she may have had the owner's permission to use it...

It is a curiosity question, nothing more.

JReding Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.