Question for you Neighbors to the North

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by fatherofthree, Jun 25, 2015.

1. flyguy35

flyguy35 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Sorry that I cannot speak to which companies to watch out for as I am just beginning my career as a driver. I am sure there are more well informed people than I that can shed some light on the not so professional companies from Canada.

fatherofthree Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fatherofthree

fatherofthree Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Again I appreciate your time and effort regardless. You have given me far more insight then those two others have. I know not all drivers and companies from those areas are horrible. Good luck with yiur career :)

4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    You said that very politely! And politically correct too!

5. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    I guess you just happen to deal with few bad apples from either Qc or On, but i don't think Qc or On are any worst than anybody else.

Stupidity doesn't know any borders or limits....everybody has their opinions about something but nothing is only black and white.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

You do not even need to Go to CANADA and you can witness some DIMWITTED American drivers that are just as bad as any from Ontario or Quebec

peterd and Ougigoug Thank this.
  7. fatherofthree

fatherofthree Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    I am fully aware of the idiots we have here in the states ... I live in the midwest which is far worst then even nyc ... and yes idiots are everywhere but was just curious if like here in the states who the ones I should watch out for the most. I have had pleasant experiences with those from BC and Alberta

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    The farmers out west complain about trucks from ON and QC also. They are speed limited to 105 kph, while on our four lanes you can go 110. If two of them happen to catchup with each other, if one is going 105 and the other is going 104.995 you can bet they'll pass each other. I've sat back and watched this go on for about eight miles one time.
    My brother worked and lived in Toronto for a while. He commented on they're me against the world attitude. Real cheap sons of guns too. He said he was a nickle short for a coffee off the chuck wagon one morning, so he bummed one off a fellow employee. When the truck came again in the afternoon, the fellow seriously asked for his nickle back.

9. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I was in Toranto west bound on the 401 trying to get on the 403 to QEW. Could not believe there was no exit...

Canadian driver took time out his route to lead me north on the 410, turnaround at the next exit and lead me back south,,
    Canadians are awesome. ( still can't believe no exit geeesh)

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  10. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Toronto is well known as an exceptionally rude place. It's the type of place where line ups are for suckers, you don't hold the door for the person behind you and you avoid eye contact with your fellow citizens on the street.

People talk about how rude folks in say NYC or Chicago are, but any time I have visited either it's nothing to strike up a chat with a stranger passing by or waiting at a dock somewhere.

In Toronto if you ask someone directions or the time of day, they look at you as though are a vagrant schizophrenic or scurry along and pretend to not have heard you. I'm pretty sure that all other qualities lacking, Toronto is determined to be world class rude if they can't be world class much else.

I did a dedicated run to Montreal from Halifax for a year and never had an issue with the Montrealaise. They were largely laid back and ready to crack a joke, helpful and often (gasp) smiling! We used to go out on St Catherine's to the bars when we had a night off and the crowd was always beaming, smiling and friendly on the streets and inside.

Contrast that to the reticent crowd around the bars in Wellesley and Church in Toronto and it's hard to believe it's not two different countries.

As far as driving goes, generally on the 401 near Toronto: "when in doubt, hit the brakes"
    In Montreal: "when in doubt, hit the gas"
    In Quebec City: "when in doubt, hit the shoulder, run over the road sign, jump the ditch, go the wrong way down a 1 way street and flip off everyone who gets in your way after 3 glasses of wine with breakfast"

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    :headbang:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Reason for edit: that would explain it...
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.