Question from a novice

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by paulpost, Nov 27, 2015.

1. paulpost

paulpost Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Hi I'm looking in the hot shot niche of trucking what I'd like to ask is if you can put 2 more tires to turn a regular truck in a dually and how difficult is or is as simple a changing the drums?
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Depends on what axle your truck has, it might be as simple as a set of rims.

4. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I'm far from an expert, so take this fwiw. You would need a whole new rear end. But even that would just be wasting your time if you didnt replace the springs with 1 ton.

Are you doing to keep your combination gvwr below 26,000? My brother was running a wedge with a single cab dodge single cab 3500. When we were looking at equipment the gvwr varried even on the same model same year truck. Thats the only advantage to this conversion i could think of

5. paulpost

paulpost Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Thank you all for your responses now I understand that just adding 2 more wheels will not help much, a dually truck will have a different suspension allowing a higher weight to be towed, now another novice question 26000 lbs. is the max. weight of the load or the total weight truck trailer and load. Where can I find more details about the rules and regulations regarding hot shot trucking.
    Thank you

6. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Weight of load and equipment. Your total weight well sitting on the scale.

Most everything has been discussed multiple times in the sub forum. Get to reading.

d o g Thanks this.
  7. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Sounds like you have a lot of research to do before hopping into this. At 26,001 lbs cdl required. To my knowledge above 10k lbs need every other thing like physical and dot annual inspections as you would with 80k lb rig. If I'm thinking right if 26k lbs or under don't need IFTA either.

8. tndriver

tndriver Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2011
    mid south tn
    I'm in same boat as you. Learning as much as i can bout hotshot. And I've read and read. Just tough when u get a dozen different answers or the subject gets changed. Then billy Bob comes in with attidude. That being said lots good info gets lost because of pointless replies. So it gets very difficult for person find the help they looking for.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  9. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Go to any truckstop, find one and talk to them. They're easy to find because they're always in the way

10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    This isn't a thread about PRIME.

Not_Here_Long Thanks this.
  11. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Check out the thread about being over max tow rating. That'll explain a lot about what you're asking. Then spend a few hours thumbing through the many other threads here. Great resource.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.