Question from India about trucking in North Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Amipro, Jul 25, 2016.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its because kids today have been born with a chronic condition called "Being a spoiled, entitled brat syndrome" They're so wrapped up in the digital (aka non-existing) world that they're missing out on life.

peterd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Canada doesn't need to import drivers...

Runawayscreaming and orcen Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    We don't need to import many people at all. I don't understand why it's an issue if the average Canadian couple produces something like 1.7 children. The population will slowly decline. So what?

5. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    When times are good the deer and moose drop twins when they are bad they might have one and it might not survive the winter.

6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Head on over to Manitoba. Not only will MPI pay for your schooling to become a truck driver (it's how I got into it), with the help of our tax dollars, they will pay for an interpreter so you don't even have to learn English to pass the test (they will also hire sign language interpreters for the deaf... I went to school with two that were in the class after me).

And I'm one of the few Canadian truckers out there who respects a hard-working driver, regardless of their ethnicity or country of origin. But as a taxpayer I find it ludicrous that someone can arrive in Canada and be handed a job like trucking with little to no experience with any part of the country or the weather. A four-wheeler on an icy road is one thing. 130,000 pounds is something else entirely.

I'd recommend coming to the country under normal immigration circumstances, and start out with an entry level food service job. It's much easier work and the pay is often times much better. There is no driver shortage... at least, companies are feeling an issue with lack of GOOD drivers.

7. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    The OP seems to have a grasp on written and read English. Give him / her a brake. Maybe the OP can lead " his / her people" by example. NO ONE is 'NATIVE' to North America. Even the ( Aboriginal - Indigenous - Native - Indian - First Nation - Etc - Etc ) folks came 'here' from some place else .... some walked ( Bering Strait ) .... some sailed ( Europe ) .... some flew ( Other planets - LOL ) .....

We all bleed red and we all need to get a grip on the trucking industry or we all loose .....

In 30 years I have had lots of truckers with my back !!! Native, White, Black, Asian, etc .....

We all bleed red ! Work together !

Anyone can be a #### head ...... that genetic trait DOES NOT discriminate !

Amipro and Zeviander Thank this.
  8. 1Diesel

1Diesel Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Toronto
    Well said Pullin2... instead of discriminating a trucker because of race or even discouraging a trucker because of his/her experience we should stand together and save this industry (for us from us) and get the respect and pay rates we deserve. We are the ones transporting freight for all to use... we are providing a vital service (similar to other professionals in various industries we seem to stand by one another to thrive... to progress).

Sure we can complain about how certain groups have brought rates down by working for less in the last decade but this will not help us... we should encourage all to set a new standard. Not sure when but it has to happen as everything else seems to be going up.

Good luck to all... safe travels.

Amipro and Pullin2 Thank this.
  9. Amipro

Amipro Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Thank you, Pullin2. I could not have said it better.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  10. Amipro

Amipro Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2016
    I have operated trucks in the brutal and chaotic road traffic conditions of India without any incident. Even so, I am unlikely to start driving thousands of pounds' loads on icy roads without much-more-than-adequate training. More than my own life, I value the lives of others sharing the road with me. I would drive vehicles anywhere in the world with the same conscientiousness.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  11. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Best of luck AmiPro.

Just to touch on what I posted above, and without opening the whole debate over temporary foreign workers .. etc .. Does anyone remember what happened on the Port Of Vancouver a few years ago ? When all the can haulers banded together and refused to haul anymore for the rates they were being paid ? Anyone remember that ? It seems to me that strength in numbers CAN work sometimes in this industry. Drivers from all those companies. Company drivers and owner operators.

I also recall from the TV news footage that those drivers were white, black, Asian, brown, European, middle eastern, male, female, and lots of variations in between the above. They also wore ball hats and turbans. BUT they still got their point across and got the rates they were entitled too.

Need I say more ?

Amipro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.