Question Regarding Quebec Weigh Stations

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by farmboy73, Apr 28, 2016.

1. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I recently made my first trip through Quebec in a CMV. I was confused when I entered a weigh station because the light was flashing red. I had no idea what to do and couldn't read the French signs. I tried to observe the other trucks in front of me, but still wasn't certain what the rules were. In any case, following the pattern of others, I pulled on to the scale, the light continued to flash red, and after waiting a moment, I simply continued on. No one chased me, so I guess there wasn't a problem. However, I anticipate that I will likely go back through the province and wanted to find out how the weigh stations work so that I can be sure to comply.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Yeah I did the same thing this week. No biggie.

4. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Sorry. I failed to make clear the purpose of my post. Can someone please explain the proper protocol? Thanks!

5. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Not sure, but generally a flashing red just means to come to a complete stop and then proceed when safe.
    Some scales like you to stop before you roll on the scale, just helps to get the speed down.

7. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I suppose my confusion is based on comparison with most US scales. When you are called to static scale, generally you stop on a solid red and then proceed on green or follow other instructions as indicated on the sign. I don't personally recall seeing a flashing red at a US scale. (I am familiar with the signs instructing you to stop before moving onto the scale.) At the Quebec scale there was no green in the sequence I observed as other trucks entered and exited. The light just continued to flash red. Your suggestion may be accurate. I hadn't thought of it in the context you mentioned, which would apply to general traffic control. I was only thinking of it in contrast to other scales I've experienced.

8. dutchieinquebec

dutchieinquebec Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Granby.QC
  9. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks. I am not referring to the sign beside the road. I am referring to the light beside the static scale after entering the inspection station.

10. dutchieinquebec

dutchieinquebec Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Granby.QC
    all you have to do is stop at the light, open your window to hear if they have something to say, and if not, keep on going.

11. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks. I guess I was overthinking it!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.