Questions about Companies that pay for school then hire, otr ?'s about which company to work for.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Cody davis, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Cody davis

Cody davis Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Hey guys, I am looking into getting my CDL, I am very determined but I know that I need to find a company to fit my needs. First off I am in a treatment program and for a few months I will have to visit my doctor once a week for check up and new medicine, so I would like to know which companies that offer school/ otr training after hire, come home more than once a month. I do not have a problem with staying out for 2-3 weeks but not for months since I have to maintain this. I'm sure during my training I wont be home very much.

Alright now for my normal OTR driving questions. I was wondering if all trucks have a refrigerator and microwave. If not then which ones do, ones that would be part of the above paragraph so that way you wouldn't have to list as many. Finally out of the ones that fit my description in the above areas, which ones pay the best per mile while I'm in training and under there contract for the schooling they provided? Thank you for any help anyone provides, I hope this isn't to much for anyone to answer because I'm pretty clueless and have searched for answers yet am determined to get my CDL and become a trucker.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Earl Henderson Trucking has their own CDL school and will train you. They have a fairly new pay system with a guarantee of no less than pay for 2100 miles @ .38 cpm.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Earl Henderson Trucking has their own CDL school and will train you. They have a fairly new pay system with a guarantee of no less than/minimum pay for 2100 miles @ .38 cpm.

5. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Get it on your own. Don't be an indentured servant.

6. USIT420

USIT420 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly, get your own. An alternative is to go to your local department of labor, if you're currently unemployed you should be able to qualify for a grant. Here's the deal...either you get the grant money OR the company that sponsors your training will get it. The difference is being a slave or not being a slave.

As far as microwaves and refrigerators, that should be the last of your worries. Buy a $5 polystyrene cooler and add ice. Or you can buy a 12 volt that will last a long time. Most companies don't offer those luxuries, especially the starter companies. Also, do your research and choose a company that actually has miles. A CDL does you no good if you're only going to make $300 a week.

Where do you live?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    pete1 Thanks this.
  7. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Good ideas. There's no point in paying thousands of dollars to get a job paying Walmart wages at one of these puppy mill mega carriers.....

8. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Red flags all over this OP's post.

Oldman49 Thanks this.
  9. USIT420

USIT420 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought the same thing, but figured I'd just stick to his questions

Oldman49 Thanks this.
  10. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    My advice would be to get your personal life in order before committing to an OTR lifestyle. I'm a recovering addict myself, and there are many temptations on the road. And you know as well as I do, it's easy to find trouble when you're looking for it.

I would recommend that you focus on your sobriety right now and the good jobs and luxuries in life will come only after you've gotten that stuff under control. If you try to take on too much too soon, one slip can be the end of your driving career for ever. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oldman49 and Cody davis Thank this.
  11. Cody davis

Cody davis Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Southeast Missouri.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.