Questions about life at Prime

Discussion in 'Prime' started by SteadyEddie, Nov 5, 2014.

1. SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Thanks! According to the recruiter, if I complete my refresher at an accredited school, it is 40k with a trainer since I have my CDL already. Given that the 40k includes all truck miles, it is not that long a period of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gatorbaiter

gatorbaiter Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    3rd Rock
    FYI you could do refresher at prime and it will cost you nothing and during it they will allow you to take 200 bucks a week advance against future earnings. If you still can drive well it will be like 2 or 3 weeks out and then you will only need 30k with a trainer.

4. SteadyEddie

Nov 5, 2014
    Thanks! That might be the better way to get my refresher! I'll learn the Prime way to do things and a bit about the job itself rather than just refreshing driving skills at a local school. Also, as an east coast guy, it will get me out to Spingmo for orientation, training, etc, which is an interest of mine. I like the idea of 48OTR and the idea of experiencing Prime at the main terminal.

5. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    You might want to consider flatbed. I think it's a little more relaxed in terms of the hours you drive, maybe how much pressure you're under in general. It's the good life over here. Bit less pay, a lot less headache.

6. SteadyEddie

Nov 5, 2014
    I am sure I would find flatbed interesting, but I am concerned about tarping. My wife's cousin worked for a flatbed only company for 5 years and told me tarping can be really difficult at times. I am in great physical condition, but at 53, I am not sure flatbed is a fit. I have however given serious thought to it. My understanding is more regular drive hours and less crosswind impact especially when empty.

7. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Yes on both the hours and wind (unless it's a high profile, especially light, load)

Tarping can suck if you have to get on top of a load of a taller load and a shipper doesn't have any kind of tarping station or some nifty way up top. I have a ladder, but I'm terrified of heights/ladders/falling so I use it as sparingly as possible.

Good luck to you either way.

8. SteadyEddie

Nov 5, 2014
    Thanks! Interesting to know. I had forgotten about my fear of heights. I originally felt flatbed would never work for me because of that, buts it seems many flatbed and tanker drivers are not comfortable with heights but work their way through it. Good that you have been able to do that. What do you think would be the best way for me to ultimately determine if flatbed could be a fit?

9. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    If you have to go through the PSD program, see if you can get on a flatbed truck then. That's what I did.

I wasn't sure I wanted to do it or was able to until about a month after I went solo.

SteadyEddie Thanks this.
  10. SteadyEddie

Nov 5, 2014
    Great idea. I am seriously going to think about giving flatbed a try. I used to think I would see less home time with flatbed. I heard that the best area for flatbed is the mid-west. Is there enough flatbed in the NE to get me home and back out to the mid-west every 3 to 5 weeks? I know I see flatbeds on the roads near me (I84 NY and CT and I87 and I90 in NY), but I have been under the impression flatbed mostly runs mid-west. Please let me know if I have this right and if you see the home time possible for a NE resident.

11. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    We have a terminal in Pittston,PA and plenty of freight coming out of PA. I would imagine being close to I84 would be a decent spot to be in, but I wouldn't know for sure.

SteadyEddie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.