Quick On/Off Suction Cup Antenna Mount

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by GreenMonster9669, Jul 5, 2015.

1. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    I've been looking for a way to mount a quarter-wave 2 meter ham antenna on my truck that I could take on and off quickly and easily. I saw this idea on a ham radio website and thought I'd give it a try. It holds tight and is as easy to put together as it looks.

SC Mount.jpg

Pick up a suction cup at Harbor Freight for 8 bucks, get a fiberglass whip and a mirror mount, replace the nuts on the mirror mount with wingnuts for quick on/off and you're in business. Attaches to passenger window or any smooth metal surface. I noticed that HF also carries a dual suction-cup model that would probably work for larger antennas.

Suction cup: http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-suction-cup-lifter-92825.html

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Is that a no-ground antenna, like for a boat or RV?

4. GreenMonster9669

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    No, it's a basic truck stop Firestik whip on a mirror mount. It's just a different way to attach it if you don't have a tubular mirror bracket or if you slipseat.

5. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    You will either need a "no ground" antenna for that to work properly, or you'll have to run it as a vertical dipole, with another CB antenna pointed upside-down dead-shorted to the mount. As it is right now with that setup, you have no negative radiator, and in essence are missing half the antenna.

In normal circumstances, with a mobile antenna, the metal body of the vehicle the antenna is mounted to serves as the negative radiator, i.e. RF ground plane. In this instance, by dead-shorting another antenna, pointing upside down, to the mount, you add the negative radiator and create the ground plane necessary for the antenna to work properly.

jessejamesdallas and mike5511 Thank this.
  6. GreenMonster9669

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    Having been a licensed ham since 1971 I completely understand the basics of dipole antenna design. Again, the attempt here was not to design an antenna, but to offer an inexpensive, convenient way to mount an existing design on a truck that doesn't offer the traditional tubular mirror mount.

The same principles apply to this mount that apply to any other ungrounded mount. Someone who wants to design a dipole can fab a bracket like this. http://www.wolfington.net/articles/dipole/ (Scroll down to "Antenna Assembly") but I have doubts about it's practicality as a mobile on the 27 mHz band.

And after driving with it mounted for a week I can report that it held tightly to the side of the truck--which was the whole point of the OP to begin with.

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Let it stay outside for a while in the weather, and come back next month and let us know what happens!

8. GreenMonster9669

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    That's the next step. I also attached a metal plate to one of the suction cup handles yesterday and this week I'm going to see how it holds a 5/8 wave magnetic mount antenna. That will put a lot more pressure on the suction cup.

9. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'll bet it won't take long before the sunlight and the weather cause it to fail.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.