Quick opinions....

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by IronWeasel80, Sep 22, 2015.

1. IronWeasel80

IronWeasel80 Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Belen, NM
    Roughly 8 years experience, last 4 have been hauling construction equipment (loaders, dozers, backhoes, etc.) on a flatbed or stepdeck, but about 6 years ago I drove a little (2000 gallon) tank wagon for a different company and I was the oiler / fueler for that company. I've maintained my all my endorsements, including hazmat, and everything is still good until about this time next year.

Was thinking about trying to get into fuel hauling on a larger scale and wasn't quite sure who I should be checking with. Around here we have the following big companies:

• Coastal Transport (San Antonio, TX)
    • Groendyke
    • United Petroleum Transport (Oklahoma Tank Lines / UPT)
    • Western Refining
    • Flying Star Transport
    And then some smaller local companies like Brewer Oil, Hodges Oil, etc.

I've checked with Gemini Motor Transport (Love's carrier), but they haven't had anything open for a while. Haven't heard many good things about Coastal and I used to work in the yard directly adjacent to the UPT yard, so I saw all their equipment and some of it was alright while some of the trailers looked like they were from the 60's.

Any insight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    How about Kenan (KAG) and their 17.5 different companies?

4. IronWeasel80

IronWeasel80 Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Belen, NM
    Yeah..... KAG is around here, too. Currently, the only division they have openings for here is Cryogenic Transportation and I've already filled out an application online for that one.

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Best to ask the drivers. I was out of Las Vegas and none of those did business with us. Always look for the drivers that have been at the company the longest. Find out who is leaving and go after that job. I sure between those companies the pay doesn't vary that much. So your have to look at benefits and how they treat their drivers. It's always best to get the information from the people that are there and get more than one answer that's the same.

6. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    I work the same rack that most of the Seagulls (Coastal) work. The ones I talk to say it's no better or no worse than anywhere else, and their pay is in line with the other companies in the area. This is in South TX, so YMMV wherever you are.

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    IF you go
    Yes, Coastal does have some old trailers. They were a pretty good company overall, with one notable exception: their philosophy about maintenance and repair. We had a #### good mechanic, but the higher-ups made his job very difficult by penny-pinching instead of letting him order parts and materials as needed. I hope times have changed since then, especially since CSA is now in force.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Gemini's central dispatch.

8. glenn71

Jul 13, 2013
    Did you know Andy over at Coastal? Was just talking to him about a half hour ago at the up river rack.

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Andy Buck, in the black truck with the shiny, polished trailer? He's a good guy.

10. glenn71

Jul 13, 2013
    Yep that's him. Great guy. Got the best looking of the Seagull trucks in CC too. The only one with dolphins in the paint scheme.

11. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    One of our drivers was telling me today about his buddy gets paid x amount for every hose he hooks or unhooks. The numbers were high and I'm fairly certain they were BS. But...do any of you know fuel haulers who are paid any kind of base per mile, or hourly plus a hook/unhook pay? How much would be a reasonable amount?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.