Quick question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BiH, May 2, 2016.

1. BiH

BiH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2016
    I just got my CDL but I've been driving with my uncle with a CLP since April 2015, and I'm gonna be driving with him for another 3-4 months so I can get more driving experience before I set out on my own...if I wanted to go to another company in 4 months would that count as experience even though it's not on paper or experience is something that needs to be on paper??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Companies want verify experience. So driving with your uncle probably isn't verify unless he has an company and pay you on a w2

BiH Thanks this.
  4. BiH

BiH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2016
    He has a company but I don't think he's gonna put me on payroll just yet

5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Companies vary on the amount of experience you need to have, with that being said, start the research process now, so you will have a clear idea on what is required. Make sure that you keep all your logs and manifests, to support your application.

BiH Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do some paper logs to cover the time you drove for him. Make copies to submit with job applications if requested. Without documentation, some companies may want a refresher, but that's easy to get.
    Some small companies will just give a road test which you won't have any problem passing.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    BiH Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    They want verifiable experience. Usually with a 53' trailer. No one counts my mixer experience for years, even though everywhere I went was 72K pounds.
    I'm not sure about the payroll part, but if your uncle verifies your time, they might accept it. They will be able to tell you've been driving if you make it to the road test.
    The last two small companies I leased on with, there was no road test. Even the big companies, if they really need drivers, are pretty easy, I watched this chic back into the same trailer three times during one, made it on her 4th attempt, passed.

BiH and truckthatpassesyouby Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    When I got back into trucking I didn't go through a school. Got my permit and drove with my brother and took the road test in his truck. After driving 3 months OTR team Swift hired me, taking 3 months experience in lieu of school. But I had to go through the full 240 hours behind the wheel training.

BiH Thanks this.
  9. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    When I got my CDL I talked to a guy who had a friend who had a company who "verified" my first 3 months of work and then put that as my experience. It worked.

BiH, Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. BiH

BiH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Sorry guys for the late reply, I've been out on the road, haven't had time to check msgs...it will probably be easier to get on with a smaller company than a bigger one ...I asked around and big companies always ask for schooling but like y'all said if they really need drivers it shouldn't be a big deal since my uncle would say I worked for him

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.