Quitting factoring

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RedForeman, Oct 3, 2014.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Given all the scare stories about parting ways with a factoring company, I figured I’d post what I’ve been doing with mine the last two months. Kind of long winded, but this is how you do it when your account is in good standing, and not complicated by any claims or other drama.

Those of you that’s followed my posts on the topic know that I’ve been a fan of factoring. To summarize, my experience has been generally positive. I have been with eCapital (formerly known as Freight Capital) since going into business March 2011. For my business, they have served as a part time accounts receivable department for the most part. Over the past 3 years, I’ve also leaned on them from time to time during times cash flow was tight. However, not here to discuss the merits or cost of factoring. Just a story about getting away from it.

In the past year, my business has matured to the point that factoring just isn’t the fit it once was. There’s many steps along that path, the short version is: improvements in both revenue and expenses (more positive cash flow to begin with), along with a now very short list of customers that pay like clockwork, I am just not getting the value from factoring I once did. The thing that finally kicked me into action was hearing dannythetrucker’s story. I won’t rehash that, but you can find it with the search. It was a bad parting of ways, and with the same company I’m with. What that story did for me was highlight the risk my business was exposed to by just having a factoring relationship in place.

I studied my contract before making any calls. 8 pages of tiny print, and two of them just on that the definition of what “good standing” is, along with the process to get accounts released and/or terminate the agreement. All sorts of written notice timelines and fees depending on how you read it. I was now nervous about even calling to ask questions, tipping them off I wanted to quit!

Can’t do this forever, so I sucked it up and made the call. I had just been assigned a new account manager a month earlier, so even more nervous about the call, having no working relationship with the new guy. Turned out to be easy. It was like getting stressed out over a dentist appointment only to find you don’t have any cavities.

We had a really productive call. Turns out the terms in the agreement were intended to make it difficult and expensive to cancel in the event of a disagreement, or to immediately go to another factoring company (buyout). Since neither of those cases applied to me, it was much more simple. As a good client that they really want to keep, most of the inconvenient stuff (timelines, notices by certified mail, etc) could easily be waived.

The process to end my factoring program is in two steps. 1. All assigned accounts reach a zero balance and are released. 2. Cancel the master agreement (terminate).

I was offered an immediate release of any accounts with a zero balance, no charge. Ask and ye shall receive. I already had a bunch of those, so asked for the 8 that I’d most likely book another load with some day soon. Notices went to those customers the same day.

I had two customers that had one invoice pending that would pay within a few days. I let those be, and requested releases as soon as their balance hit zero. One paid fast as a rule, and I held an invoice a couple extra days to see their last payment post, then invoiced them direct after I got the release.

That left my main customer with a large balance. My original plan was to secure a $20k credit line and buy them out. As checks came in, replenish the line. That didn’t materialize, and I’m actually kind of glad it didn’t. So I went to my Plan B…

Taper that balance down over several weeks. What most (good) factoring companies will do is let you fund invoices selectively. Once an account is assigned, they must collect all payments. However, you can opt not to have them fund some or even all of them. If you do that, you get paid when they do and there is no factoring fee. About the only issue with those is a few more days to pay since they have to process payment first before sending it to you. It took about four weeks to take that last customer down to zero and get them released.

I had sufficient cash on hand to keep operating during that time. It turned out to be a closer call than I expected, due to about $5000 in (direct) receivables being a little slow. I’ve managed. My regular invoices are now aged enough to replace what I was doing with the factoring company, but direct now. In my mail box.

My factoring balance has been zero for about two weeks. I have also decided not to do any quick pays either. IMO kind of dumb to go thru all the wrangling to get clear of factoring, only to give up money with quick pay fees. It’s added a little collection overhead and cash flow planning to my life, but definitely not so much that I regret doing this.

If you’re reading this and considering doing the same as I just did, there is one thing that is really important to do: Verify with your customer that they received the factoring release and that you are set up to receive payment directly. Either do it when you get the release, or at least verify when you book that first load you will ultimately invoice for direct payment. It’s also a good time to make sure you’re clear on days to pay terms, in case it’s been a while since you signed their carrier agreement.

I’ve chosen not to terminate the factoring agreement just yet. Call it a security blanket. It doesn’t cost anything and I do still have access to do credit checks if I want. Although I was told the termination timeline would be waived, I’ll probably just wait a few months before ending it. The trigger on the process is contract anniversary minus 60 days. I’ll probably just do it by the book, provided I don’t decide to use them again in the mean time.

I’ll just add one cautionary tale. Don’t just read and understand your contract terms. Get a calendar and a calculator out and really run a scenario to close and cancel the agreement. Get it straight in your head how much money and time it will take to unwind your factoring program, both in a positive way I’ve mentioned, as well as the negative. Know going in what will happen if you have a major claim that jams up a bunch of open invoices. Or a falling out and you decide you want to quit and go to someone you like better. Or, like me, you just decide it’s time to move away from it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Great, great detail post, thank You very much!

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  4. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    Good news and a GREAT move............

mp4694330 Thanks this.
  5. ganggreen

ganggreen Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Red, can I get information from you. you helped clear up a lot.

6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Sure. Post it here if it's on topic, or start a new thread. You can also send a PM. Until your post count increases a little, you might have to send it to an admin to forward. Admins are listed at the bottom of each forum section index page. This one includes Brickman, Mastertech, bullhaulerswife, rookietrucker, GuysLady, 25(2)+2.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  7. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Factoring is the same to trucking as the "Pay day title pawn" is to the working poor.
    The bottom line is,unless you are married to the road and run 7 days a week then the profit margins are simply not enough to maintain much less replenish the O/O needs. It is no secret that operating ratios in trucking are always north of .90 and closer to .95, which leaves very little wiggle room.I started off with a clear title on truck and trailer and swore to never factor(which I didn't) and held off with quick pay for over a year and when it was getting to the point I needed to ask for advances I got out.It is a travesty that and industry so important as trucking has been turned into a rich mans tax write-off game where the stakes are high and your pockets better be very deep to start.
    Bottom line is the people pulling all the strings have turned drivers opinions thoughts and ideals into worthless chatter regardless of the significants.

Tennesseahawk Thanks this.
  8. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    I was blessed to never have to factor; and I applaud anyone who builds up a business to the point they can move on from using that particular tool. That's what it is : a tool.........and it can be both misused and overused. Kudos to Red. Having said all that; I don't agree with 6 Speed's lumping them in with pay day lenders........that's being just a LITTLE dramatic.

RedForeman and Cetane+ Thank this.
  9. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Maybe a little dramatic in my comparison,but my point being there should be enough profit built into trucking that this service not be necessary.

How many lawn care professionals could you get to mow your yard for $100 if it cost them $95 to do it?

Another dramatic example but if you stay in trucking long enough you will truly see it cost $95 to make $100.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. soremonkeybutt

soremonkeybutt Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2014
    minnesota
    The speedo thing aint workin

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    This thread has been docked, which means anyone will be able to find it near the top of this sub forum.

To clarify something else, administrators or moderators can forward PMs and can be contacted by any normal member who has posting privileges. That is, if they are here, the admins are on more.

Cetane+ and RedForeman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.