r&r power steering pump

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by joecitizen, Oct 25, 2015.

1. joecitizen

joecitizen Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    been searching on forum for "how to" information on doing an r&r of a power steering pump, but can not seem to find what i am looking for.

anyways, truck is a 2003 379 with a c15. do i need to drain the engine oil so the oil will not spray everywhere once i remove pump from block.

are there any bearing(s) and/or gear(s) that will need to be pressed on and off p/s shaft?

are there any gaskets/seals i need to be aware for replacement.

i plan on a new/rebuilt p/s pump, pressure hoses, filter, oil, along with any gaskets, o-rings and bearings necessary...

thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Just a gasket and don't loose the drive coupling. If the fittings have o-rings replace them and make sure the jam nut is adjusted so o-ring stays in groove. Clean out the hoses, new ones frequetly have trash in them from when the hose was cut. I normally jack up the front end, fill with fluid, and crank the engine but try to turn it off before it starts. Turn the wheel lock to lock and repeat in tell fluid still reads on dipstick. Then start it, turn it lock to lock several times, turn off and recheck fluid.

joecitizen Thanks this.
  4. joecitizen

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    when you say dont lose the drive coupling, could the coupling fall into engine front cover or just lose coupling in general (ie., misplace it)

also, is the drive coupling similar to the coupling used between the air compressor and fuel pump on an n14?

thanks

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Usually just a female splined tube that maybe lost outside the engine.

joecitizen Thanks this.
  6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Make sure that you change the filter in the reservoir and bleed the system.

joecitizen Thanks this.
  7. 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder Medium Load Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Eastern Orygun
    Engine oil level is far below the pump, obviously don't run the truck with the pump off though. Two bolts, two hoses, pull it off, slap the new one on and put fresh fluid in. Depending on steering gear there may be a drain at the box, open that with a pan under it for relatively mess-free changing. Also check the return hoses and cooler (if equipped), I have seen coolers bent and touching the radiator, or hood hinges that have worn out and are rubbing the cooler.
    If the pump fully failed you may need to put a box on it as well to get all the debris out of the system, or are you replacing for another reason?

joecitizen Thanks this.
  8. joecitizen

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    i am getting fluid being pushed out of the reservoir... the reservoir gets hot to the touch after about 30 minutes of idling with no turning of the steering wheel or driving, plus i can hear what sounds like a hissing sound in about the same 30 minute timeframe...

as far as i know nothing has failed sending metal everywhere internally, hoping i am catching a pump on its way out...

9. 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder Medium Load Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Eastern Orygun
    How's the power assist? Does it feel about the same, stronger to one side, or reduced at all?

10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Have you ever changed the filter? Sounds like the filter my be plugged.

11. joecitizen

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    @ welder... steering feels heavy, other than that works fine.

@GrapeApe... i changed the entire reservoir, including a new filter and low pressure side hoses no more than a year ago.

main concern is the fluid being pushed out reservoir and getting hot along with a "hissing" sound.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.